The Clinical Analysis of Paclitaxel at Two Dose Levels plus Carboplatin as the First-line Treatment in Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer.
Summary of "The Clinical Analysis of Paclitaxel at Two Dose Levels plus Carboplatin as the First-line Treatment in Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer."
The combination of pacilitaxel and carboplatin has become a widely used regimen in first-line therapy of advanced NSCLC. The aim of this study is to compare the efficacy and safety of paclitaxel plus carboplatin at two dose levels in the first-line treatment of advanced NSCLC patients.
From Dec 2006 to Jun 2008, 63 patients (ECOG 0-1) with advanced NSCLC were administered with paclitaxel 175 mg/m² (42 patients) plus carboplatin (AUC 5) or paclitaxel 200 mg/m² (21 patients) plus carboplatin (AUC 5), 3-4 weeks/cycle.
The objective response rate of paclitaxel 175 mg/m² group and paclitaxel 200 mg/m² group was 28.57% vs 33.33% (P=0.698); median time to progression were 6.7 months vs 7.0 months (P=0.561); median overall survival time were 18.7 months vs 19.0 months (P=0.255); one and two-year survival rate were 61.9% vs 66.7% (P=0.711) and 31.0% vs 33.3% (P=0.852), respectively. Neutropenia 3/4 grade was 61.9% vs 33.3% in paclitaxel 200 mg/m² group and paclitaxel 175 mg/m² group (P=0.031).
175 mg/m² dose paclitaxel causes less neutropenia than higher dose paclitaxel. Response rate, survival rate, time to progression and survival time are not statistically significant in two groups.
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Shanghai Chest hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200030, China.
This article was published in the following journal.
Name: Zhongguo fei ai za zhi = Chinese journal of lung cancer
- PubMed Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21496430
- DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3779/j.issn.1009-3419.2011.04.04
Medical and Biotech [MESH] Definitions
Area Under Curve
A statistical means of summarizing information from a series of measurements on one individual. It is frequently used in clinical pharmacology where the AUC from serum levels can be interpreted as the total uptake of whatever has been administered. As a plot of the concentration of a drug against time, after a single dose of medicine, producing a standard shape curve, it is a means of comparing the bioavailability of the same drug made by different companies. (From Winslade, Dictionary of Clinical Research, 1992)
Lethal Dose 50
The dose amount of poisonous or toxic substance or dose of ionizing radiation required to kill 50% of the tested population.
An organoplatinum compound that possesses antineoplastic activity.
Maximum Tolerated Dose
The highest dose of a biologically active agent given during a chronic study that will not reduce longevity from effects other than carcinogenicity. (from Lewis Dictionary of Toxicology, 1st ed)
Administration of the total dose of radiation (RADIATION DOSAGE) in parts, at timed intervals.
Phase III Trial Comparing Oral S-1 Plus Carboplatin With Paclitaxel Plus Carboplatin in Chemotherapy-Naive Patients With Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Results of a West Japan Oncology Group Study.
PURPOSE The primary goal of this open-label, multicenter, randomized phase III trial was to determine whether treatment with carboplatin plus the oral fluoropyrimidine derivative S-1 was noninferior v...
Introduction One standard of care for advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is paclitaxel plus carboplatin ± bevacizumab. This two-step phase I study evaluated the feasibility of adding eve...
PURPOSE: To evaluate the pharmacokinetics of bevacizumab following IP and IV administration, and to investigate combined bevacizumab therapy (IP or IV) with IP paclitaxel or carboplatin in a mouse mod...
PURPOSE: To evaluate the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), safety, and antitumor activity of sunitinib combined with paclitaxel and carboplatin. METHODS: Successive cohorts of patients with advanced solid...
PURPOSE Carboplatin/paclitaxel is the standard first-line chemotherapy for patients with advanced ovarian cancer. Multicentre Italian Trials in Ovarian Cancer-2 (MITO-2), an academic multicenter phase...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more tumor cells. It is not ye...
Phase 1b Dose Excalation/Expansion: Identify and characterize safety and tolerability of recommended phase 2 dose of CP-751,871 when administered with paclitaxel and carboplatin. Phase 1b...
This is a dose-finding study; therefore, there is no hypothesis testing
The main purpose of this study is to assess the optimum dose of the following medications when they are given together: - BIBW 2992 and paclitaxel (Taxol) - BIBW 2992 and p...
The purpose of this study is to: 1. Evaluate how the body reacts to sorafenib when taken daily in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin, 2. Measure the blood levels...