Chinese High School Students' Academic Stress and Depressive Symptoms: Gender and School Climate as Moderators.
Summary of "Chinese High School Students' Academic Stress and Depressive Symptoms: Gender and School Climate as Moderators."
In a sample of 368 Chinese high school students, the present study examined the different effects of Chinese high school students' academic stress on their depressive symptoms and the moderating effects of gender and students' perceptions of school climate on the relationships between their academic stress and depressive symptoms. Regression mixture model identified two different kinds of subgroups in the effects of students' academic stress on their depressive symptoms. One subgroup contained 90% of the students. In this subgroup, the students' perceptions of academic stress from lack of achievement positively predicted their depressive symptoms. For the other 10% of the students, academic stress did not significantly predict their depressive symptoms. Next, multinomial regression analysis revealed that girls or students who had high levels of achievement orientation were more likely to be in the first subgroup. The findings suggested that gender and students' perceptions of school climate could moderate the relationships between Chinese high school students' academic stress and their depressive symptoms. Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Nanjing University, China. Liuyangyang661@sina.com.
This article was published in the following journal.
Name: Stress and health : journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress
Medical and Biotech [MESH] Definitions
School Admission Criteria
Requirements for the selection of students for admission to academic institutions.
Stress Disorders, Post-traumatic
A class of traumatic stress disorders with symptoms that last more than one month. There are various forms of post-traumatic stress disorder, depending on the time of onset and the duration of these stress symptoms. In the acute form, the duration of the symptoms is between 1 to 3 months. In the chronic form, symptoms last more than 3 months. With delayed onset, symptoms develop more than 6 months after the traumatic event.
A serotonin uptake inhibitor that is used as an antidepressive agent. It has been shown to be effective in patients with major depressive disorders and other subsets of depressive disorders. It is generally more useful in depressive disorders associated with insomnia and anxiety. This drug does not aggravate psychotic symptoms in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorders. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p309)
Health and nursing care given to primary and secondary school students by a registered nurse.
School Health Services
Preventive health services provided for students. It excludes college or university students.
Background: Serious alcohol-related negative consequences are associated with a number of drinking behaviors among college students. Thus, it is critical to identify students who are at greater risk f...
Depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors are prevalent among youth today. The current study sought to further our understanding of the correlates of depression and suicidality by assessing the r...
ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The current study explored the prevalence of depressed mood among Chinese undergraduate students and examined the coping patterns and degree of flexibility of flexibility of such...
BACKGROUND: Many university students experience some symptoms of depression during the course of their studies but there is evidence that students from less advantaged backgrounds may be more vulnerab...
Depression is the most common mental health problem among young people, particularly university students, with prevalence rates as high as 48% reported. This population however, is reluctant to seek p...
The purpose of this study is to determine whether the participation in a group program which includes meditation, biofeedback, drawings, autogenic training, genograms, and a variety of mov...
High blood pressure can often be caused by stress or anxiety. This study will evaluate a school-based stress and anger management program that aims to lower blood pressure and anger levels...
Stress contributes to health and behavioral issues in students, but will not be integrated into schools without evidence of benefit. This study was conducted to determine if a 6-week relax...
Context: Gum chewing has been shown to increase cognitive functioning. With the rise in standardized testing of school-age children and the concurrent attempts to improve their scores, fin...
This study will implement a school-based program to prevent depression, academic failure, and substance use in at-risk adolescents transitioning from middle school to high school.