Treatment of Faecal Incontinence With Sacral Nerve Stimulation - Improved Function With Stimulation Bilaterally?
Faecal incontinence is a devastating condition causing psychological stress, affecting daily living and influences quality of life. Faecal incontinence affects 2,2 to 5 % of the adult population. The magnitude of the problem is probably underestimated, because most patients don't discuss this affliction with their general practitioner. A new treatment, sacral nerve stimulation (SNS), has over the last decade given hope to these patients. The treatment is divided in two; first a test operation (PNE-test) has to reveal if the patient will benefit from treatment with permanent sacral nerve stimulation. Second if the patient benefit from the PNE-test, they proceed to final implant. 75-80% of the patients with idiopathic fecal incontinence benefit from the PNE-test, 70% of those get satisfactory functional results and the remaining 30% get suboptimal improvement in continence after permanent unilateral sacral nerve stimulation. The aim of this project is to investigate if bilateral sacral nerve stimulation can produce better fecal continence results than standard unilateral stimulation, through a double blind, randomized crossover study.
Sacral nerve stimulation is a very good and effective treatment for faecal incontinence The method was introduced to patients with voiding disorders in 1981. In 1995 sacral nerve stimulation was used for three patients with faecal incontinence, two were afterwards fully continent. The method has over the last decade been used increasingly in Europe. The method is now used routinely in the treatment of faecal incontinence in Europe.
Recent studies have shown that the effect of sacral nerve stimulation is due to a neuromodulation in the central nervous system, whereas direct stimulation of efferent nerves to anal sphincter and the pelvic floor has less significance.
The sacral nerve stimulation is performed in two steps, first a test stimulation, if positive the patients proceed to permanent implant.
Test stimulation (PNE-test) is performed over a 3 week period. If this test stimulation produces a decrease in incontinence episodes of more than 50 per cent, a permanent electrode and neurostimulator are implanted. The test period has a success rate of approximately 75-80% in patients with idiopathic fecal incontinence or incontinence after anal surgery. These 75-80% will normal be candidates to unilateral implantation of permanent electrode and neurostimulator.
All permanently implanted has less incontinence symptoms after the treatment. Satisfactory continence results after permanent implantation are seen in 70% of the patients, the remaining 30% only obtain a suboptimal efficacy. It is unclear whether these patients could have a more optimal function if they were stimulate on more than one sacral nerve simultaneously.
Hypothesis: Is it possible to improve the functional result in faecal incontinent patients treated with routine unilateral sacral nerve stimulation by stimulating the sacral nerves bilaterally.
Allocation: Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment, Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator), Primary Purpose: Treatment
Medtronic INTERSIM II - 3058
Anal Physiology Laboratory, Surgical Research Section 900, Aarhus University Hospital
University of Aarhus
Results (where available)
- Source: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00913601
- Information obtained from ClinicalTrials.gov on July 15, 2010
Medical and Biotech [MESH] Definitions
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Abnormal descent of a pelvic organ resulting in the protrusion of the organ beyond its normal anatomical confines. Symptoms often include vaginal discomfort, DYSPAREUNIA; URINARY STRESS INCONTINENCE; and FECAL INCONTINENCE.
Circumscribed collections of suppurative material occurring in the spinal or intracranial EPIDURAL SPACE. The majority of epidural abscesses occur in the spinal canal and are associated with OSTEOMYELITIS of a vertebral body; ANALGESIA, EPIDURAL; and other conditions. Clinical manifestations include local and radicular pain, weakness, sensory loss, URINARY INCONTINENCE, and FECAL INCONTINENCE. Cranial epidural abscesses are usually associated with OSTEOMYELITIS of a cranial bone, SINUSITIS, or OTITIS MEDIA. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p710 and pp1240-1; J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1998 Aug;65(2):209-12)
Involuntary loss of URINE, such as leaking of urine. It is a symptom of various underlying pathological processes. Major types of incontinence include URINARY URGE INCONTINENCE and URINARY STRESS INCONTINENCE.
A progressive neurodegenerative condition of the central and autonomic nervous systems characterized by atrophy of the preganglionic lateral horn neurons of the thoracic spinal cord. This disease is generally considered a clinical variant of MULTIPLE SYSTEM ATROPHY. Affected individuals present in the fifth or sixth decade with ORTHOSTASIS and bladder dysfunction; and later develop FECAL INCONTINENCE; anhidrosis; ATAXIA; IMPOTENCE; and alterations of tone suggestive of basal ganglia dysfunction. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p536)
An increased liquidity or decreased consistency of FECES, such as running stool. Fecal consistency is related to the ratio of water-holding capacity of insoluble solids to total water, rather than the amount of water present. Diarrhea is not hyperdefecation or increased fecal weight.
The purpose of this study is to determine if a behavioral treatment method called biofeedback will reduce the frequency of episodes of leakage of fecal material in patient suffering from f...
The study is an open, prospective, single-site study where 16 patients suffering from fecal incontinence will be included. Change in fecal incontinence episodes after intersphincteric inje...
The purpose of this study is to evaluate a new injectable bulking agent for the treatment of fecal incontinence in adult men and women. This study has been designed to assess the safety,...
Fecal incontinence affects 2% of adults in the United States. Biofeedback has been recommended for the treatment of fecal incontinence because uncontrolled studies over the past 25 years s...
The purpose of this study is to determine whether Sacral Nerve Stimulation (SNS) for idiopathic faecal incontinence affect cortical and deep brain activity in an acute and chronically stim...
For genotyping of transgenic animals, many IACUC guidelines recommend the use of fecal DNA when possible because this approach is non-invasive. Existing methods for extracting fecal DNA may be costly...
A prosthesis-patient mismatch (PPM) is present when the prosthetic valve is too small in relation to the patient's body size. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the frequency of PPM a...
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation With the Edwards SAPIEN Versus the Medtronic CoreValve Revalving System Devices: A Multicenter Collaborative Study: The PRAGMATIC Plus Initiative (Pooled-RotterdAm-Milano-Toulouse In Collaboration).
The aim of this study was to compare outcomes after transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation with the Medtronic CoreValve (MCV) versus the Edwards SAPIEN/SAPIEN XT transcatheter heart valv...
Objective-To evaluate fecal calprotectin concentrations in healthy dogs and dogs with chronic diarrhea, to identify cutoff values for fecal calprotectin concentrations for use in differentiating dogs...
The inactivation of fecal coliforms in anaerobic batch reactors has been investigated at the thermophilic temperatures of 50, 55 and 60 °C. Throughout inactivation experiments at each temperature, in...