Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
By Suleiman Al-Khalidi BEIRUT (Reuters) - The Syrian army said on Monday it would suspend combat operations in southern Syria until Thursday ahead of a new round of peace talks in the Kazakh capital Astana, but rebels said the army had already violated the ceasefire by striking areas under their control. The army general command said in a statement carried on state television the ceasefire began at midday (0900 GMT) on Sunday and was to support "reconciliation efforts", in the second such unilateral ceasefire in the last two weeks. Russian-sponsored talks are planned in Astana on Tuesday.
Original Article: Syrian army announces ceasefire in south ahead of Astana talksNEXT ARTICLE