Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
Vaginitis is one of the most common causes of patient visits to gynecologists, primary care providers, and urgent care centers. However, many women leave without a clear diagnosis or experience recurrent symptoms despite treatment. The three most common etiologies of vaginitis are trichomonas, bacterial vaginosis, and vulvovaginal candidiasis, which account for an estimated 70% of cases. The remaining 30% may be related to other causes of vaginitis, including atrophic vaginitis, desquamative inflammatory vaginitis, and vaginal erosive disease. The purpose of this review is to describe the non-candidal causes of acute and recurrent vaginitis, with the goal of improving the likelihood of accurate diagnosis as well as efficient and effective therapy. We excluded candidal vaginitis from our review, as there was a recently published review on this topic in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. The clinical presentation and evaluation of patients with symptoms of vaginitis can be triaged into one of two diagnostic pathways: non-inflammatory and inflammatory vaginitis. The most common non-inflammatory cause is bacterial vaginosis. Features such as irritation, purulent discharge, and the presence of polymorphonuclear neutrophils are more suggestive of an inflammatory process. Trichomoniasis is the most common cause of inflammatory vaginitis. Other well-described forms of inflammatory vaginitis include atrophic vaginitis, desquamative inflammatory vaginitis, and erosive disease. We present a review of the pathogenesis, symptoms, exam findings, diagnostic testing, and treatment for each of these causes of non-candidal vaginitis.
This article was published in the following journal.
Name: American journal of obstetrics and gynecology
Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) is a lifelong disease associated with extra-articular manifestations and several comorbidities, as well as reduced quality of life and psychosocial burden. Diagnostic delay i...
The diagnosis and management of combined anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) injuries have been a controversial topic for several decades. No single approach has prov...
Skeletal dysplasias are a heterogeneous group of conditions, many of which present unexpectedly in the prenatal period with a variety of ultrasound findings. Accurate prenatal diagnosis can now be fac...
Advanced malignancy is a prevalent cause of exudative pleural effusion. The management of malignant pleural effusion (MPE) has been the subject of several recent randomized controlled trials and excel...
Breast cancer-related lymphedema (BCRL) is a potentially debilitating and often irreversible complication of breast cancer treatment. Risk of BCRL is proportional to the extent of axillary surgery and...
Efficacy and safety of Gynomax® XL ovule in the treatment of trichomonal vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis, candidal vulvovaginitis and mixed vaginal infections will be evaluated in this ope...
The purpose of this study is to see if it is safe to give L-743,872 to men with candidal esophagitis, an AIDS-related yeast infection in the esophagus.
POLYGYNAX® is a broad spectrum combination of nystatin, neomycin and polymixin B indicated for the local treatment of vaginitis due to sensitive germs and treatment of non specific vagini...
30 postmenopausal females with senile vaginitis will be enrolled with score of
Symptoms of vaginitis are common among adolescent females, although studies have shown that neither experienced clinicians nor patients can accurately diagnose the cause of vaginitis based...
Providing for the full range of personal health services for diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and rehabilitation of patients.
Providing for the full range of dental health services for diagnosis, treatment, follow-up, and rehabilitation of patients.
An integrated professional approach to screening, evaluation, control, and reduction of abnormal WEIGHT GAIN.
An integrated nano-scale approach to MEDICINE which involves concurrent diagnosis, drug delivery, therapy, and monitoring of therapeutic response.
A form of therapy that employs a coordinated and interdisciplinary approach for easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those experiencing pain.
Women's Health - key topics include breast cancer, pregnancy, menopause, stroke Follow and track Women's Health News on BioPortfolio: Women's Health News RSS Women'...