Topics

Association of 6-year waist-circumference change with progression from prehypertension to hypertension: the Rural Chinese Cohort Study.

08:00 EDT 13th March 2020 | BioPortfolio

Summary of "Association of 6-year waist-circumference change with progression from prehypertension to hypertension: the Rural Chinese Cohort Study."

Whether dynamic change in waist circumference is associated with progression from prehypertension to hypertension is not well understood. We explored this issue. A total of 4221 prehypertensive adults ≥18 years were enrolled during 2007-2008 and followed up during 2013-2014. Participants were classified by percentage waist-circumference change at follow-up: ≤-2.5, -2.5 to ≤2.5, 2.5 to ≤5.0, and >5.0%. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were calculated with logistic regression models, with stable waist-circumference change (-2.5 to 2.5%) as the reference. During the 6 years of follow-up, 1464 prehypertensive patients (851 women) showed progression to hypertension, with an incidence rate of 32.7% for men and 36.3% for women. As compared with stable waist circumference, a waist-circumference gain > 5.0% was associated with increased hypertension risk: adjusted ORs (95% CI) were 1.08 (1.01-1.14) for men and 1.09 (1.04-1.15) for women. The risk also decreased significantly for men with ≥2.5% waist-circumference loss (OR = 0.94, 95% CI 0.88-1.00). We found a linear association between percentage waist-circumference gain and risk of progression from prehypertension to hypertension for both sexes by restricted cubic splines (p = 0.772 for men and 0.779 for women). For each 10% gain in waist circumference, the risk increased by 8% for men and 5% for women. The association remained significant for both sexes in a subgroup analysis by abdominal obesity at baseline. The long-term gain in waist circumference significantly increased the risk of progression from prehypertension to hypertension for both sexes in a rural Chinese population, regardless of abdominal obesity status at baseline.

Affiliation

Journal Details

This article was published in the following journal.

Name: Journal of human hypertension
ISSN: 1476-5527
Pages:

Links

DeepDyve research library

PubMed Articles [23318 Associated PubMed Articles listed on BioPortfolio]

A descriptive study of ten-year longitudinal changes in weight and waist circumference in the multi-ethnic rural Northern Norway. The SAMINOR Study, 2003-2014.

The obesity epidemic is dynamic with varying secular trends and differences between countries and ethnic groups. The objective of this study was to describe the age- and sex-specific longitudinal chan...

Association of Food Parenting Practices on Child BMI z Score and Waist Circumference in Mexican Preschool Children After 1 Year of Follow-Up.

To evaluate the association between food parenting practices (FPPs) and weight status among preschoolers and the directionality of this association at 1-year follow-up.

Cardio-metabolic disturbances are more correlated with waist-hip ratio (WHR) than body mass index (BMI) in patients with coronary vascular disease.

To evaluate the correlation of body mass index, waist circumference, hip circumference and waist-hip ratio with coronary vascular diseases in patients with ischaemic heart disease.

Waist-to-Height Ratio Is a Better Predictor of Hyperuricemia than Body Mass Index and Waist Circumference in Chinese.

Our study aimed to compare the predictive value of waist-to-height ratio (WHtR) for hyperuricemia with body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference (WC).

The ability of waist-to-height ratio to identify health risk.

To evaluate the performance of the ratio between the waist circumference and the height in the identification of health risk compared with the correlation matrix between the anthropometric parameters ...

Clinical Trials [10569 Associated Clinical Trials listed on BioPortfolio]

Waist Circumference in Cardiac Surgery

Metabolic syndrome including increased body mass index or waist circumference is known to be a risk factor of cardiovascular disease. However, the relationship between body mass index or w...

The Effect of Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference and Waist / Hip Ratio on Cecal Intubation Time in Colonoscopy: Prospective Clinical Trial

During colonoscopy, body mass index, waist circumference and waist / hip ratio is the relationship between the cecal intubation difficulty aims to define.

Central Obesity and Hepatocellular Carcinoma

Recurrence and metastases after microwave ablation(MWA) of hepatocellular carcinoma(HCC) are the major factors that influence the survival. Obesity has been reported was significantly corr...

Telephone Physical Activity Intervention in Obese Youth

The purpose of this study is to examine the effectiveness of a telephone-based physical activity (PA) intervention in obese adolescents attending a Health Weight Comprehensive Clinic. Seco...

Study of Low Level Laser Light Therapy on Circumference Reduction

The purpose of this study is to determine whether low level laser light therapy is effective in reducing circumference of the waist, hips, thighs and upper abdomen over a 6 week period.

Medical and Biotech [MESH] Definitions

The waist circumference measurement divided by the hip circumference measurement. For both men and women, a waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) of 1.0 or higher is considered "at risk" for undesirable health consequences, such as heart disease and ailments associated with OVERWEIGHT. A healthy WHR is 0.90 or less for men, and 0.80 or less for women. (National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 2004)

A screening phenotype consisting of both elevated WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE and elevated fasting TRIGLYCERIDES level.

The ratio of WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE to BODY HEIGHT.

The measurement around the body at the level of the ABDOMEN and just above the hip bone. The measurement is usually taken immediately after exhalation.

An index for monitoring the accumulation of lipids based on the WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE measurement and the level of TRIGLYCERIDES circulating in the blood.

Quick Search


DeepDyve research library

Relevant Topics

Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a chronic, life-threatening disorder characterized by abnormally high blood pressure in the arteries between the heart and lungs of affected individuals. Symptoms can range from mild breathles...

Nephrology - kidney function
Nephrology is a specialty of medicine and pediatrics that concerns itself with the study of normal kidney function, kidney problems, the treatment of kidney problems and renal replacement therapy (dialysis and kidney transplantation). Systemic conditions...

Women's Health
Women's Health - key topics include breast cancer, pregnancy, menopause, stroke Follow and track Women's Health News on BioPortfolio: Women's Health News RSS Women'...


Searches Linking to this Article