Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: DNA analysis of tumor tissue may help doctors understand changes in gene expression after treatment with sorafenib.
- Compare gene expression changes (i.e., transcript profiles) in pre- vs post-treatment tumor specimens from patients with high-risk localized prostate cancer treated with neoadjuvant sorafenib tosylate.
- Determine the effect of changes in protein phosphorylation on specific downstream protein effectors (i.e., ERK, AKT, and S6- kinase) of sorafenib tosylate kinase targets in these patients.
- Compare pre- vs post-treatment immunohistochemical markers of apoptosis (caspase-3), cell proliferation (Ki-67), and angiogenesis (microvessel density) as a measure of antitumor response in these patients.
- Determine the pathologic complete response rate in these patients.
- Compare rates of positive surgical margins, extracapsular extension, and seminal vesicle and lymph node involvement with tumor vs Memorial Sloan Kettering pre-operative nomogram predictions in these patients.
- Determine the percentage of patients with a ≥ 25% and ≥ 50% decline in PSA.
- Determine sorafenib tosylate tissue levels in prostate tumors after treatment and correlate with molecular, clinical, and/or pathologic outcomes in these patients.
- Determine overall changes in histology after treatment and correlate with molecular and clinical outcomes in these patients.
- Correlate baseline alterations in phospho-ERK, phospho-AKT, and phospho-S6-kinase expression with treatment related molecular, clinical, and/or pathologic outcomes in these patients.
- Collect tissue samples for future analysis of correlative biomarkers of prognosis or treatment response.
- Collect frozen plasma for future analysis of correlative biomarkers of treatment response.
OUTLINE: This is a pilot study.
Patients receive oral sorafenib tosylate twice daily on days 1-14. Treatment repeats every 2 weeks for 3 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. On approximately day 43 (1-3 days after the completion of sorafenib tosylate), patients undergo radical prostatectomy.
Patients undergo needle biopsies and blood collection at baseline and after completion of study treatment for analysis of biomarkers by immunohistochemistry and microarray gene analysis.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed for 6-10 weeks.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: At total of 20 patients will be accrued for this study.
Primary Purpose: Treatment
sorafenib tosylate, microarray analysis, immunohistochemistry staining method, conventional surgery, needle biopsy, neoadjuvant therapy
USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:38:50-0400
RATIONALE: Sorafenib tosylate may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth and by blocking blood flow to the tumor. Giving sorafenib after live...
RATIONALE: Sorafenib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth and by blocking blood flow to the tumor. Giving sorafenib before surgery may ...
RATIONALE: Sorafenib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth and by blocking blood flow to the tumor. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as ...
RATIONALE: Sorafenib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth and by blocking blood flow to the tumor. PURPOSE: This phase II trial is stu...
RATIONALE: Monoclonal antibodies, such as bevacizumab, can block tumor growth in different ways. Some block the ability of tumor cells to grow and spread. Others find tumor cells and help ...
This protocol details a method to analyze two tissue samples at the transcriptomic level using microarray analysis, ingenuity pathway analysis (IPA) and gene set enrichment analysis (GSEA). Methods su...
Histological analysis is a morphological technique and an effective method for understanding the pathology of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Here, we describe the processes of paraffin samples, including ...
Tubo-ovarian transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) is grouped with high-grade serous carcinoma (HGSC) in the current World Health Organization classification. TCC is associated with BRCA mutations and a b...
Extracellular vesicles (EV) have attracted attention as circulating biomarkers for many diseases, particularly cancer. Conventional immunofluorescence staining has been used for detection of target an...
Sorafenib has been demonstrated to be a beneficial treatment for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Emerging evidence indicates that caspase-1 activation plays a crucial role in HCC progression....
The simultaneous analysis, on a microchip, of multiple samples or targets arranged in an array format.
A method of chemical analysis based on the detection of characteristic radionuclides following a nuclear bombardment. It is also known as radioactivity analysis. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
The analysis of an activity, procedure, method, technique, or business to determine what must be accomplished and how the necessary operations may best be accomplished.
A set of techniques used when variation in several variables has to be studied simultaneously. In statistics, multivariate analysis is interpreted as any analytic method that allows simultaneous study of two or more dependent variables.
Therapeutic practices which are not currently considered an integral part of conventional allopathic medical practice. They may lack biomedical explanations but as they become better researched some (PHYSICAL THERAPY MODALITIES; DIET; ACUPUNCTURE) become widely accepted whereas others (humors, radium therapy) quietly fade away, yet are important historical footnotes. Therapies are termed as Complementary when used in addition to conventional treatments and as Alternative when used instead of conventional treatment.
Bioinformatics is the application of computer software and hardware to the management of biological data to create useful information. Computers are used to gather, store, analyze and integrate biological and genetic information which can then be applied...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...
Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) is a form of cancer that develops in the prostate, a gland in the male reproductive system. Most prostate cancers are slow growing; however, there are cases of aggressive prostat...