Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel, prednisone, and atrasentan work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving more than one drug (combination chemotherapy) may kill more tumor cells. It is not yet known whether docetaxel, prednisone, and atrasentan are more effective than docetaxel and prednisone in treating prostate cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying docetaxel, prednisone, and atrasentan to see how well they work compared to docetaxel and prednisone in treating patients with stage IV prostate cancer and bone metastases that did not respond to previous hormone therapy.
- Compare the survival and progression-free survival of patients with hormone-refractory stage IV prostate cancer and bone metastases treated with docetaxel and prednisone combined with either atrasentan vs placebo.
- Compare pain progression of patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare the qualitative and quantitative toxicity of these regimens in these patients.
- Compare the quality of life, in terms of palliation of metastatic bone pain and improvement in functional status, of patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare prostate-specific antigen (PSA) response rates in patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare objective response in patients with measurable disease treated with these regimens.
- Determine whether a 30% reduction in PSA and the slope of PSA from baseline to 3 months is a surrogate marker for survival in patients treated with these regimens.
- Correlate PSA progression with clinical progression and death in patients treated with these regimens.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to disease progression (measurable or non-measurable disease progression vs prostate-specific antigen progression only), use of bisphosphonates at study entry (yes vs no), worst pain, measured by the Brief Pain Inventory "pain" scale (< grade 4 vs ≥ grade 4), and extraskeletal metastases (yes vs no). Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive docetaxel IV over 1 hour on day 1. Patients also receive oral atrasentan and oral prednisone once daily on days 1-21. Treatment repeats every 21 days for up to 12 courses. Patients with stable or responding disease after course 12 may register for continued oral atrasentan treatment for up to 52 weeks in the absence of disease progression* or unacceptable toxicity.
- Arm II: Patients receive docetaxel and prednisone as in arm I. Patients also receive oral placebo once daily on days 1-21. Treatment repeat every 21 days for up to 12 courses. Patients with stable or responding disease after course 12 may register for continued oral placebo treatment for up to 52 weeks in the absence of disease progression* or unacceptable toxicity.
NOTE: *Patients with PSA progression alone will be allowed to continue treatment
Quality of life is assessed at baseline, before courses 4, 7, and 10, and then after completion of study treatment.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed every 3 months for 1 year and then every 6 months for up to 3 years from study entry.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 930 patients will be accrued for this study within 4 years.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Placebo Control, Masking: Double-Blind, Primary Purpose: Treatment
atrasentan hydrochloride, docetaxel, prednisone, placebo
Providence Cancer Center at Providence Hospital
Active, not recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:52:21-0400
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well atrasentan works ...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel and prednisone, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from divi...
This study will compare the safety and efficacy of sunitinib in combination with prednisone versus placebo and prednisone in patients that have metastatic castration-resistant prostate can...
This phase I/II trial studies the side effects and best dose of pasireotide and to see how well it works when given together with docetaxel and prednisone in treating patients with metasta...
The study objective is to investigate the effects of three low doses of atrasentan on urinary albumin/creatinine ratio (UACR) levels in subjects with Type 2 diabetic nephropathy.
Androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) has long been the gold standard for patients with metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC). Clinical trials have demonstrated significant survival benefi...
Efficacy and safety of abiraterone acetate plus prednisone in Japanese patients with newly diagnosed, metastatic hormone-naïve prostate cancer: a subgroup analysis of LATITUDE, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, Phase 3 study.
To evaluate the efficacy and safety of abiraterone acetate plus prednisone (AAP) plus androgen-deprivation therapy (ADT) in Japanese subgroup with newly diagnosed, metastatic hormone-naïve prostate c...
Qualitative and Quantitative Assessment of Patient and Carer Experience of Chemotherapy (Docetaxel) in Combination with Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) for the Treatment of Metastatic Hormone-Sensitive Prostate Cancer (mHSPC).
Recent studies suggest that docetaxel plus androgen deprivation therapy can prolong survival among men with metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC). However, as a cytotoxic therapy, there...
Our prior Systemic Treatment Options for Cancer of the Prostate systematic reviews showed improved survival for men with metastatic hormone-naive prostate cancer when abiraterone acetate plus predniso...
The prevalence of prostate cancer has shown a marked increase in China. Most patients are presented with metastasis at diagnosis.It has been proven by clinical trials that besides androgen deprivation...
Metastatic breast cancer characterized by EDEMA and ERYTHEMA of the affected breast due to LYMPHATIC METASTASIS and eventual obstruction of LYMPHATIC VESSELS by the cancer cells.
Mucocellular carcinoma of the ovary, usually metastatic from the gastrointestinal tract, characterized by areas of mucoid degeneration and the presence of signet-ring-like cells. It accounts for 30%-40% of metastatic cancers to the ovaries and possibly 1%-2% of all malignant ovarian tumors. The lesions may not be discovered until the primary disease is advanced, and most patients die of their disease within a year. In some cases, a primary tumor is not found. (From Dorland, 27th ed; Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 3d ed, p1685)
An estrogen responsive cell line derived from a patient with metastatic human breast ADENOCARCINOMA (at the Michigan Cancer Foundation.)
An androstene derivative that inhibits STEROID 17-ALPHA-HYDROXYLASE and is used as an ANTINEOPLASTIC AGENT in the treatment of metastatic castration-resistant PROSTATE CANCER.
A synthetic long-acting agonist of GONADOTROPIN-RELEASING HORMONE. Goserelin is used in treatments of malignant NEOPLASMS of the prostate, uterine fibromas, and metastatic breast cancer.
Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) is a form of cancer that develops in the prostate, a gland in the male reproductive system. Most prostate cancers are slow growing; however, there are cases of aggressive prostat...
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing as well as dispensing drugs and medicines. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs. The scope of...