Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as irinotecan, leucovorin, and fluorouracil, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug and giving them after surgery may kill any remaining tumor cells. It is not yet known whether combination chemotherapy is more effective than observation alone in treating patients who have undergone surgery for colon cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying irinotecan and fluorouracil with or without leucovorin to see how well they work compared to observation alone in treating patients who have undergone surgery for stage II colon cancer.
- Compare 5-year disease-free survival in patients with resected stage II adenocarcinoma of the colon treated with adjuvant chemotherapy comprising fluorouracil and irinotecan with or without leucovorin calcium vs no adjuvant therapy.
- Compare 8-year overall survival in patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare tolerability of these regimens in these patients.
- Correlate clinical, histological, and biological prognostic factors with outcome in patients treated with these regimens.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to participating center, disease stage (pT3 vs pT4), pathological differentiation (poorly or undifferentiated vs well or moderately differentiated), and microsatellite instability (positive vs negative vs unknown). Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients are further randomized to receive 1 of 3 adjuvant chemotherapy regimens.
- Regimen A: Patients receive irinotecan IV over 90 minutes followed by leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours and fluorouracil IV continuously over 46 hours on days 1, 15, and 29. Treatment repeats every 42 days for up to 4 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Regimen B: Patients receive irinotecan IV over 30-90 minutes followed by leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours and fluorouracil IV continuously over 24 hours on days 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, and 36. Treatment repeats every 56 days for up to 4 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Regimen C: Patients receive irinotecan IV over 60 minutes followed by fluorouracil IV continuously over 48 hours on days 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, and 36. Treatment repeats every 42 days for up to 4 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Arm II: Patients undergo observation only. Patients are followed every 6 months.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 1,976 patients (988 per treatment arm [247 each in regimens A and B of arm I and 494 in regimen C of arm I]) will be accrued for this study within 4.5 years.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Active Control, Primary Purpose: Treatment
FOLFIRI regimen, fluorouracil, irinotecan hydrochloride, leucovorin calcium, adjuvant therapy
National Cancer Institute - Cairo
Active, not recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-07-23T21:51:55-0400
This phase I trial studies the side effects and the best dose of irinotecan hydrochloride, based on a genetic test, when given in combination with fluorouracil, leucovorin calcium, and cet...
This phase II trial studies how well fluorouracil, leucovorin calcium, and irinotecan hydrochloride (FOLFIRI) together with panitumumab work in treating patients with colorectal cancer tha...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug and giving the drugs in different combi...
To evaluate the efficacy, safety and pharmacokinetics of sunitinib plus FOLFIRI (irinotecan, 5-FU and l-leucovorin) in the first-line treatment of Japanese mCRC patients
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more tumor cells. It is not ye...
Aflibercept combined with FOLFIRI (folinic acid, 5-fluorouracil, irinotecan) as second-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) significantly improved survival compared with FOLFIRI alone...
Recent approaches in treating pancreatic adenocarcinoma, an aggressive disease with limited survival, include the use of liposomal irinotecan as an option when first-line therapy has failed. Liposomal...
The phase III RAISE trial (NCT01183780) demonstrated that the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor (VEGFR)-2 binding monoclonal antibody ramucirumab plus 5-fluororuracil, leucovorin, and...
Approximately 20% of patients with cancer of the stomach or gastro-oesophageal junction (GOJ) present with resectable disease. Long-term outcome after surgery alone in these patients is poor, and a co...
To compare the overall survival (OS) and disease progression free survival (PFS) in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (Ad-HCC) who are undergoing hepatic arterial infusion (HAI) of oxali...
The active metabolite of FOLIC ACID. Leucovorin is used principally as its calcium salt as an antidote to folic acid antagonists which block the conversion of folic acid to folinic acid.
A naphthalene derivative and CALCIMIMETIC AGENT that increases the sensitivity of PARATHYROID GLAND calcium-sensing receptors to serum calcium. This action reduces parathyroid hormone secretion and decreases serum calcium in the treatment of PARATHYROID DISEASES.
A phenylethylamine derivative that acts as a calcium antagonist showing hemodynamic effects in patients with acute myocardial infarction.
Radiotherapy given to augment some other form of treatment such as surgery or chemotherapy. Adjuvant radiotherapy is commonly used in the therapy of cancer and can be administered before or after the primary treatment.
Drug therapy given to augment or stimulate some other form of treatment such as surgery or radiation therapy. Adjuvant chemotherapy is commonly used in the therapy of cancer and can be administered before or after the primary treatment.
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing as well as dispensing drugs and medicines. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs. The scope of...
Colon or Colorectal cancer is the growth of malignant polyps on the colon, bowel, anus and rectum. Growths in these locations can be benign, and removed by colonoscopy, but they have a risk of becoming malignant. About 10 per cent of bowel cancer...