Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as doxorubicin and docetaxel, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Oblimersen may increase the effectiveness of doxorubicin and docetaxel by making the tumor cells more sensitive to the drugs.
PURPOSE: This phase I/II trial is studying the side effects and best dose of oblimersen when given together with doxorubicin and docetaxel and to see how well they work in treating women with metastatic or locally advanced breast cancer.
Phase I (completed as of 8/16/04):
- Determine the pharmacokinetics of oblimersen, doxorubicin, and docetaxel in patients with metastatic or locally advanced breast cancer.
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of oblimersen in combination with doxorubicin and docetaxel in these patients.
- Determine the safety of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the therapeutic efficacy of this regimen at the MTD of oblimersen in a neoadjuvant setting, in terms of pathologic complete response rate, in patients with locally advanced breast cancer.
- Determine the clinical and imaging response in the breast and axillary lymph nodes of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the disease-free survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the role of Bcl-2 expression as a predictor of response to this regimen in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is an open-label, dose-escalation study of oblimersen.
- Phase I (phase I completed as of 8/16/04): Patients receive oblimersen IV continuously on days 1-6 interrupted only to administer doxorubicin IV over 15 minutes and docetaxel IV over 60 minutes on day 6. Patients also receive filgrastim (G-CSF) subcutaneously (SC) on days 7-13 or pegfilgrastim SC on day 7. Treatment repeats every 21 days for up to 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of oblimersen until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 3 or 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
- Phase II: Patients receive doxorubicin, docetaxel, G-CSF or pegfilgrastim, and oblimersen at the MTD as in phase I.
Patients with resectable tumors after 6 courses undergo surgical resection.
Patients are followed every 3-6 months for 5 years.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 69 patients (9 patients for phase I [phase I portion of the study completed as of 8/16/04] and 60 patients for phase II) will be accrued for this study within 2 years.
Allocation: Non-Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Pharmacokinetics Study, Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
Filgrastim, Oblimersen Sodium, Pegfilgrastim, Docetaxel, Doxorubicin Hydrochloride, Conventional Surgery, Neoadjuvant Therapy
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at University of Texas
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:55:07-0400
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy such as doxorubicin use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Oblimersen may increase the effectiveness of dox...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel and gemcitabine, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from div...
To compare the efficacy and safety of Day 2 (D2) once a cycle pegfilgrastim with Intermittent Every Other Days of 5 Shot (D3-11) filgrastim in early breast cancer patients treated with adj...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy such as docetaxel use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Oblimersen may increase the effectiveness of docet...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Oblimersen may increase the effectiveness of...
Microneedle-devices provide a promising alternative to syringe-injection-based administration of chemotherapeutics. Dissolvable polymeric microneedles provide possibility of carrying greater payload a...
To compare the pharmacokinetic bioequivalence and safety of a generic pegylated liposomal doxorubicin formulation (SPIL DXR hydrochloride liposome injection) with that of the reference products, Caely...
The effectiveness and safety of pegfilgrastim during bleomycin, etoposide and cisplatin (BEP) chemotherapy have not yet been investigated.
This study aimed to elucidate the benefits of nanoformulation of doxorubicin (DOX) and thymoquinone (TQ) loaded with nanofibers of poly-N-acetyl glucosamine (pGlcNAc), which is known as F2 gel, over t...
To evaluate and compare the soft tissue anaesthesia produced by tramadol hydrochloride on gingival tissues in maxilla.
Sodium or sodium compounds used in foods or as a food. The most frequently used compounds are sodium chloride or sodium glutamate.
Therapeutic practices which are not currently considered an integral part of conventional allopathic medical practice. They may lack biomedical explanations but as they become better researched some (PHYSICAL THERAPY MODALITIES; DIET; ACUPUNCTURE) become widely accepted whereas others (humors, radium therapy) quietly fade away, yet are important historical footnotes. Therapies are termed as Complementary when used in addition to conventional treatments and as Alternative when used instead of conventional treatment.
A voltage-gated sodium channel subtype that mediates the sodium ion PERMEABILITY of CARDIOMYOCYTES. Defects in the SCN5A gene, which codes for the alpha subunit of this sodium channel, are associated with a variety of CARDIAC DISEASES that result from loss of sodium channel function.
Antineoplastic antibiotic obtained from Streptomyces peucetius. It is a hydroxy derivative of DAUNORUBICIN.
A pharmaceutical preparation of sitagliptin phosphate and metformin hydrochloride that is used in the treatment of TYPE 2 DIABETES.
Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) Prostate cancer (cancer de prostata) is a form of cancer that develops in the prostate, a gland in the male reproductive system. Most prostate cancers are slow growing; however, there are cases of aggressive prostat...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...
Women's Health - key topics include breast cancer, pregnancy, menopause, stroke Follow and track Women's Health News on BioPortfolio: Women's Health News RSS Women'...