Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Ginger may help reduce or prevent nausea. It is not yet known if antiemetic drugs are more effective with or without ginger in treating nausea caused by chemotherapy.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase II/III trial is studying giving antiemetic drugs together with ginger to see how well they work compared to antiemetic drugs alone in treating nausea in patients who are receiving chemotherapy for cancer.
- Compare the efficacy of 1 course of ginger vs placebo when administered in regimens containing a 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 (5-HT3) receptor antagonist antiemetic and dexamethasone (or the equivalent dose of IV methylprednisolone) in controlling chemotherapy-related nausea at course 2 of chemotherapy in patients with cancer.
- Compare the efficacy of 3 different doses of ginger in controlling chemotherapy-related nausea in these patients.
- Determine the adverse effects of ginger when given 3 days before chemotherapy administration in these patients.
- Determine the adverse effects of these antiemetic regimens during the 4 days after chemotherapy.
- Compare the chemotherapy-related anticipatory nausea in patients treated with these antiemetic regimens.
- Compare the quality of life during the 4 days after chemotherapy in patients treated with these antiemetic regimens.
- Compare the chemotherapy-related nausea at course 3 of chemotherapy in these patients after 2 courses of ginger vs placebo.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to participating center. Patients are randomized to 1 of 4 treatment arms. Day 1 of each course is defined as the day of chemotherapy administration.
- Arm I: Patients receive oral placebo twice daily on days -3 to 3 of chemotherapy courses 2 and 3.
- Arm II: Patients receive oral low-dose ginger and oral placebo twice daily on days -3 to 3 of chemotherapy courses 2 and 3.
- Arm III: Patients receive oral intermediate-dose ginger and oral placebo twice daily on days -3 to 3 of chemotherapy courses 2 and 3.
- Arm IV: Patients receive oral high-dose ginger twice daily on days -3 to 3 of chemotherapy courses 2 and 3.
Patients in each arm also continue receiving their scheduled antiemetic regimen comprising a 5-hydroxytryptamine type-3 (5-HT3) receptor antagonist (ondansetron, granisetron, tropisetron, and dolasetron mesylate) and dexamethasone (DM) (or the equivalent dose of IV methylprednisolone (MePRDL)) on day 1 of courses 2 and 3.
Symptoms are assessed on day -3 to day 1 of courses 2 and 3 and on days 1-4 of courses 1-3.
Quality of life is assessed on day 4 of courses 1-3.
Nausea and vomiting are assessed 4 times daily on days 1-4 of courses 1-3.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 706 patients will be accrued for this study within 3 years.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Placebo Control, Masking: Double-Blind, Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
Nausea and Vomiting
ginger extract, placebo
MBCCOP - Gulf Coast
Active, not recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:55:59-0400
This is a trial to determine the safety and efficacy of ginger in reducing the prevalence and severity of chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting.
The acute gastroenteritis is a very common problem in children. The frequency and duration of this condition involves a high discomfort for the child and his family, and significant costs,...
Ginger root powder is found to be significantly effective,when given as an add-on therapy in reducing chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting in children and adolescents receiving chemoth...
Estimate the impact of a 6‐week intake of twice daily of 1000 mg of ginger extract on the composition of the gut microbiome using a pre‐post test design, i.e. examine the change of mic...
Efficacy and adverse effects of Ginger extract in treating allergic rhinitis patients compared with Loratadine.The double blind randomized controlled trial study was approved by the Human ...
Doxylamine-pyridoxine is recommended as a first line treatment for nausea and vomiting during pregnancy and it is commonly prescribed. We re-analysed the findings of a previously reported superiority ...
Postoperative nausea and vomiting causes distress for patients and can prolong care requirements. Consensus guidelines recommend use of multiple antiemetics from different mechanistic classes as proph...
The approach to the treatment of nausea and vomiting in a cancer patient should begin with a complete assessment, including the frequency, duration, and intensity of the nausea/vomiting; associated ac...
Functional nausea and vomiting disorders (FNVDs) are classified as chronic nausea and vomiting syndrome (CNVS) or cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) - CVS includes cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. We inv...
Radiotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting is a common side effect of radiotherapy. It is well-established that nausea and vomiting have a negative impact on quality of life, but the relative influence ...
Drugs used to prevent NAUSEA or VOMITING. Antiemetics act by a wide range of mechanisms. Some act on the medullary control centers (the vomiting center and the chemoreceptive trigger zone) while others affect the peripheral receptors.
Symptoms of NAUSEA and VOMITING in pregnant women that usually occur in the morning during the first 2 to 3 months of PREGNANCY. Severe persistent vomiting during pregnancy is called HYPEREMESIS GRAVIDARUM.
Emesis and queasiness occurring after anesthesia.
A dehydrated extract of thyroid glands. After the removal of fat and connective tissue, the extract is dried or lyophilized to yield a yellowish to buff-colored amorphous powder containing 0.17-0.23% of iodine.
A phenothiazine antipsychotic used principally in the treatment of NAUSEA; VOMITING; and VERTIGO. It is more likely than CHLORPROMAZINE to cause EXTRAPYRAMIDAL DISORDERS. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p612)
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...
Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. Most cancers are named for the organ or type of cell in which they start - for example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer; cancer th...
Bladder Cancer Brain Cancer Breast Cancer Cancer Cervical Cancer Colorectal Head & Neck Cancers Hodgkin Lymphoma Leukemia Lung Cancer Melanoma Myeloma Ovarian Cancer Pancreatic Cancer ...