Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy work in different ways to stop cancer cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one chemotherapy drug may kill more cancer cells. It is not yet known which combination chemotherapy regimen is more effective for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
PURPOSE: Phase III trial to determine the effectiveness of combination chemotherapy in treating children who have newly diagnosed acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Determine whether augmented BFM therapy is superior to ALinc 14/15 therapy in patients with newly diagnosed high-risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Determine whether minimal residual disease after induction therapy is predictive of an inferior prognosis in this patient population.
- Determine the correlation between event-free survival, minimal residual disease, and early response in this patient population treated with this multiple drug regimen.
OUTLINE: Patients are stratified by CNS or testicular disease (yes vs no).
- Induction therapy (weeks 1-5): Patients receive oral prednisone 3 times daily on days 1-29; vincristine IV on days 1, 8, 15, and 22; daunorubicin IV on days 8, 15, 22; and asparaginase intramuscularly (IM) on days 2, 5, 8, 12, 15, and 19. Patients also receive methotrexate intrathecally (IT) on days 1 and 8. Patients with CNS 2 or 3 disease also receive methotrexate IT on days 15 and 22.
Patients with M1 bone marrow proceed to consolidation therapy. Patients achieving M2 bone marrow on day 29 receive oral prednisone 3 times daily on days 29-42; vincristine IV and daunorubicin IV over 15 minutes on days 29 and 36; and asparaginase IM on days 29, 32, 36, and 39. If bone marrow is M3 on day 29 or M2 on day 43, then patient is off study.
- Consolidation therapy (weeks 6-14): Patients receive cyclophosphamide IV over 30 minutes on days 1 and 29; cytarabine subcutaneously (SC) or IV on days 2-5, 9-12, 30-33, and 37-40; oral mercaptopurine daily on days 1-14 and 29-42; vincristine IV on days 15, 22, 43, and 50; asparaginase IM on days 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 43, 45, 47, 50, 52, and 54; and methotrexate IT on days 1, 15, 29, and 43.
Patients then proceed to interim maintenance and delayed intensification on weeks 15-46. Courses repeat every 16 weeks.
- Maintenance I and II (weeks 15-22 and 31-38): Patients receive vincristine IV and methotrexate IV on days 1, 11, 21, 31, and 41; asparaginase IM on days 2, 12, 22, 32, and 42; and methotrexate IT on days 1 and 31.
- Delayed Intensification (weeks 23-36 and 39-42): Patients receive vincristine IV on days 57, 64, and 71; methotrexate IT on day 57; oral dexamethasone 2-3 times daily on days 57-63 and 71-77; doxorubicin IV over 15 minutes 3 times weekly on days 57, 64, and 71; and asparaginase IM on days 60, 62, 64, 67, 69, and 71.
- Delayed Intensification-Reconsolidation (weeks 27-30 and 43-46): Patients receive oral thioguanine on days 85-98; methotrexate IT on day 85; cyclophosphamide IV over 30 minutes on day 85; cytarabine IV or SC on days 86-89 and 93-96; asparaginase IM on days 99, 101, 103, 106, 108, and 110; and vincristine IV on days 99 and 106.
- Continuation therapy (weeks 47-130): Patients receive vincristine IV on days 1, 29, and 57; oral dexamethasone twice daily for 5 consecutive days on days 1-5, 29-33, and 57-61; oral mercaptopurine on days 1-84; oral methotrexate on days 8, 15, 22, 29, 36, 43, 50, 57, 64, 71, and 78; and methotrexate IT on day 1.
Patients with CNS 3 disease or who are within 24 months of diagnosis with an initial WBC ≥ 100,000/mm^3 undergo whole brain radiotherapy (omit or discontinue mercaptopurine and IT methotrexate) on day 1. Testicular radiotherapy also begins on day 1.
Patients may receive oral methotrexate on day 1 of each course (if IT methotrexate is not administered).
Patients are followed every 2 months for 2 years, every 3 months for 1 year, every 6 months for 2 years, and then annually thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 260 patients will be accrued for this study within 3.1 years.
Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
asparaginase, cyclophosphamide, cytarabine, daunorubicin hydrochloride, dexamethasone, doxorubicin hydrochloride, mercaptopurine, methotrexate, prednisone, thioguanine, vincristine sulfate
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:57:45-0400
The outcomes of children with lymphoblastic lymphoma (LBL) in China in our previous study were not unexpected. In this study, through further modification treatment protocols and strengthe...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as prednisolone and dexamethasone, work in different ways to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them fr...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop cancer cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more cancer cells. PURPOSE: ...
The primary objective of this study (TOTXVI) is to compare the clinical benefit, the pharmacokinetics, and the pharmacodynamics of polyethylene glycol-conjugated (PEG) asparaginase given i...
Ofatumumab in Combination With Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin Hydrochloride, Vincristine Sulfate, and Dexamethasone Alternating With Ofatumumab in Combination With Cytarabine and Methotrexate in Treating Patients With Newly Diagnosed Mantle Cell Lymphoma
This phase II trial studies how well ofatumumab in combination with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin hydrochloride, vincristine sulfate, and dexamethasone alternating with ofatumumab in combi...
In this paper, three rapid, simple, accurate and precise spectrophotometric methods were developed for the determination of meclizine hydrochloride in the presence of pyridoxine hydrochloride without ...
This study aims to explore the effect of oxycodone hydrochloride injection on the immune function of patients who underwent radical resection of rectal cancer under general anesthesia.Eighty patients ...
To compare the effects of alfuzosin hydrochloride and tamsulosin hydrochloride on choroidal thickness (CT) and pupil diameter (PD) sizes in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Anthracyclines (including doxorubicin) are still the backbone of commonly used breast cancer chemotherapy regimens. Despite increasing use of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide (AC) combinations for tre...
Aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma is associated with poor long-term survival after relapse or resistance to chemotherapy. We report a case of aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma refractory to first-line R-C...
A pharmaceutical preparation of sitagliptin phosphate and metformin hydrochloride that is used in the treatment of TYPE 2 DIABETES.
Antineoplastic antibiotic obtained from Streptomyces peucetius. It is a hydroxy derivative of DAUNORUBICIN.
A benzamide derivative that is used as a dopamine antagonist.
Used in the form of the hydrochloride as a reagent in ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY TECHNIQUES.
4(1-Naphthylvinyl)pyridine hydrochloride. Cholinesterase inhibitor. Synonym: YuB 25.
Head and neck cancers
Cancer can occur in any of the tissues or organs in the head and neck. There are over 30 different places that cancer can develop in the head and neck area. Mouth cancers (oral cancers) - Mouth cancer can develop on the lip, the tongue, the floor...
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing as well as dispensing drugs and medicines. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs. The scope of...
Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. Most cancers are named for the organ or type of cell in which they start - for example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer; cancer th...