Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more tumor cells. It is not yet known whether combination chemotherapy is more effective than observation alone in treating bladder cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying combination chemotherapy to see how well it works compared to observation alone in treating patients with bladder cancer.
- Compare the recurrence-free and overall survival in patients with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder with p53 gene alterations treated with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin vs observation alone.
- Compare the recurrence-free and overall survival in patients with or without p53 gene alterations treated with observation alone.
- Examine the expression of p53 and other genes, particularly RB, p21, and p16, involved in cell cycle regulation that may be involved in the response to chemotherapy in these patients.
- Correlate p53 mutational gene status with p53 protein expression by immunohistochemistry, outcome (recurrence-free and overall survival), response to chemotherapy, and expression of key molecules in the p53-mediated apoptotic pathway in patients treated with this regimen vs observation alone.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, multicenter study. Patients are assigned to 1 of 2 treatment groups based on the status of the p53 gene in the bladder tumor.
- Group A (p53 gene alteration, defined by greater than 10% nuclear reactivity): Patients are stratified according to age (under 65 vs 65 and over), stage (P1 vs P2a vs P2b), grade (1 or 2 vs 3 or 4), and p21 status. Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms within 10 weeks after radical cystectomy and bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and within 2 weeks after registration.
- Arm I: Within 2 weeks after randomization, patients receive methotrexate IV on days 1, 15, and 22; vinblastine IV on days 2, 15, and 22; and doxorubicin IV and cisplatin IV on day 2. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 3 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Arm II: Patients undergo observation for recurrence but do not receive adjuvant chemotherapy after surgery.
Patients who are eligible for randomization but decline to be randomized undergo observation for recurrence.
- Group B (p53 gene normal, defined by less than 10% nuclear reactivity): Patients undergo observation for recurrence but do not receive adjuvant chemotherapy after surgery.
Patients are followed every 6 months for 5 years and then annually thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 800 patients will be accrued for this study within 4.75 years.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Active Control, Primary Purpose: Treatment
cisplatin, doxorubicin hydrochloride, methotrexate, vinblastine, adjuvant therapy
Banner Thunderbird Medical Center
Active, not recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:58:05-0400
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells ...
This phase II trial will study the effectiveness and toxicity of sequential high dose MVAC followed by gemcitabine and cisplatin, as first line treatment in patients with locally advanced ...
Objectives: Primary To estimate the response of patients with locally advanced urothelial cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy with a combination of Dose Dense Methotrexate...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug and giving them after surgery may kill ...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining more than one drug may kill more tumor cells. It is not ye...
Methotrexate is one of the most widely used disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs. The hepatotoxicity of methotrexate resulted in poor compliance with therapy. The current study was designed to analy...
Neurotoxicity and cognitive effects of low-dose methotrexate for rheumatologic disease have often been described, but the neuropsychiatric effects of low-dose methotrexate for cutaneous disease have b...
Morbidly placenta accreta as a cause of postpartum morbidity is increasing in incidence. One conservative option is use of methotrexate as an adjuvant therapy for the management of placenta accreta. T...
Children with metastatic hepatoblastoma have a poor prognosis, even with dose intensification of cisplatin and doxorubicin. Vincristine and irinotecan have demonstrated activity in high risk disease. ...
To improve a cancer patient's quality of life, short treatment duration resulting in rapid tumour removal while sparing normal tissue are highly desirable. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) commonly applied ...
Drug therapy given to augment or stimulate some other form of treatment such as surgery or radiation therapy. Adjuvant chemotherapy is commonly used in the therapy of cancer and can be administered before or after the primary treatment.
Radiotherapy given to augment some other form of treatment such as surgery or chemotherapy. Adjuvant radiotherapy is commonly used in the therapy of cancer and can be administered before or after the primary treatment.
An inorganic and water-soluble platinum complex. After undergoing hydrolysis, it reacts with DNA to produce both intra and interstrand crosslinks. These crosslinks appear to impair replication and transcription of DNA. The cytotoxicity of cisplatin correlates with cellular arrest in the G2 phase of the cell cycle.
Combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy given to augment some other form of treatment such as surgery. It is commonly used in the therapy of cancer.
A HERNIA-like condition in which the weakened pelvic muscles cause the URINARY BLADDER to drop from its normal position. Fallen urinary bladder is more common in females with the bladder dropping into the VAGINA and less common in males with the bladder dropping into the SCROTUM.
Clinical Approvals Clinical Trials Drug Approvals Drug Delivery Drug Discovery Generics Drugs Prescription Drugs In the fields of medicine, biotechnology and pharmacology, drug discovery is the process by which drugs are dis...
Bladder Cancer Brain Cancer Breast Cancer Cancer Cervical Cancer Colorectal Head & Neck Cancers Hodgkin Lymphoma Leukemia Lung Cancer Melanoma Myeloma Ovarian Cancer Pancreatic Cancer ...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...