Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
1. To determine the increase in VZV-specific cell-mediated immune response from pre-zoster vaccination to 3 weeks post-vaccination in nursing home residents after 4 months of high dose vs. standard dose vitamin D3 supplementation.
2. In the same participants as Aim 1, to measure the association between pre-zoster vaccination 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels and the increase in VZV-specific cell-mediated immune response from pre- vaccination to 3 weeks post-vaccination.
3. Characterize the phenotypic and functional VZV-specific T cell responses to Zostavax, including memory, effector, Th1/Th2, and homing receptor-bearing T cells in the high compared to low ELISPOT responders.
1. At baseline, higher serum 25(OH)D levels will be associated with higher levels of VZV-specific cell-mediated immunity (cross-sectional).
2. At baseline, higher serum 25(OH)D levels, independent of vitamin D supplementation dose, will be associated with greater increases in VZV-specific cell-mediated immune responses to Zostavax, as measured by the interferon (IFN)-γ ELISPOT assay.
3. Compared to standard dose, high dose vitamin D3 supplementation will enhance VZV-specific cell-mediated immune response to vaccination independent of baseline serum 25(OH)D levels.
Allocation: Non-Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Prevention
Varicella Zoster Virus Vaccine (Zostavax)
University of Colorado Denver
University of Colorado, Denver
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-07-23T22:00:30-0400
Varicella zoster virus is part of the herpesvirus group and causes chickenpox in exposed individuals. The majority of the population is seropositive for this virus. Reactivation of varice...
Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) is a herpesvirus that causes two distinct clinical syndromes.Primary infection is manifested as varicella (chickenpox), whereas reactivation of latent VZV resu...
The purpose of this study is to determine whether the investigational zoster vaccine has a comparable immune response (the body's ability to protect against disease) and safety profile whe...
Study to Evaluate Immunogenicity, Safety, and Tolerability of Zostavax™ Vaccine (Zoster Vaccine Live, V211) Administered Concomitantly Versus Nonconcomitantly With Quadrivalent Influenza Virus Vaccine (Inactivated) in Participants >=50 Years of Age (V21
The study will evaluate immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability of Zostavax™ Vaccine (V211) administered concomitantly versus nonconcomitantly with Quadrivalent Influenza Virus vaccine ...
The purpose of this study is to obtain safety and immunogenicity data for the refrigerator-stable formulation of ZOSTAVAX(R) in taiwanese adults.
Women ages 50 years and older are at risk for herpes zoster, a reactivated virus from varicella zoster virus (chickenpox) that causes a painful vesicular rash and can result in postherpetic neuralgia....
Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) is under consideration as a promising recombinant viral vector to deliver foreign antigens including HIV. However, new vectors have come under increased scrutiny since vac...
Protection against zoster conferred by zoster vaccine live (ZVL; Zostavax™) wanes over time. We compared the cell-mediated immunity (VZV-CMI) of adults ≥70 years who received a second dose of ZVL ...
We report a case of encephalitis associated with Zika virus infection and reactivation of varicella-zoster virus in the central nervous system of a Brazilian child. This case raises the possibility th...
The varicella-zoster virus does double-duty: It can cause chickenpox when you're young and reactivate later in life as a painful, blistery rash called shingles. Well, there's a vaccine for each diseas...
Inflammation of brain tissue caused by infection with the varicella-zoster virus (HERPESVIRUS 3, HUMAN). This condition is associated with immunocompromised states, including the ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME. Pathologically, the virus tends to induce a vasculopathy and infect oligodendrocytes and ependymal cells, leading to CEREBRAL INFARCTION, multifocal regions of demyelination, and periventricular necrosis. Manifestations of varicella encephalitis usually occur 5-7 days after onset of HERPES ZOSTER and include HEADACHE; VOMITING; lethargy; focal neurologic deficits; FEVER; and COMA. (From Joynt, Clinical Neurology, 1996, Ch 26, pp29-32; Hum Pathol 1996 Sep;27(9):927-38)
Infection caused by HUMAN HERPES VIRUS 3 (e,g, CHICKENPOX and HERPES ZOSTER).
Pain in nerves, frequently involving facial SKIN, resulting from the activation the latent varicella-zoster virus (HERPESVIRUS 3, HUMAN). The two forms of the condition preceding the pain are HERPES ZOSTER OTICUS; and HERPES ZOSTER OPHTHALMICUS. Following the healing of the rashes and blisters, the pain sometimes persists.
An attenuated vaccine used to prevent and/or treat HERPES ZOSTER, a disease caused by HUMAN HERPESVIRUS 3.
A live, attenuated varicella virus vaccine used for immunization against chickenpox. It is recommended for children between the ages of 12 months and 13 years.
Alternative Medicine Cleft Palate Complementary & Alternative Medicine Congenital Diseases Dentistry Ear Nose & Throat Food Safety Geriatrics Healthcare Hearing Medical Devices MRSA Muscular Dyst...
A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease. A vaccine typically contains an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism, and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins or one ...