Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
This is a randomized, double blinded placebo controlled trial over a period of 3 months. Study subjects will be randomized into 2 groups: Those receiving drug (1gm of estrogen vaginal cream [EVC] at bed time 3 times a week), and those receiving placebo.
1. This will be a randomized, double blinded placebo controlled trial over a period of 3 months. Study subjects will be randomized into 2 groups: Those receiving drug (1gm of estrogen vaginal cream [EVC] at bed time 3 times a week), and those receiving placebo. Study subjects will be patients diagnosed with stress urinary incontinence by urodynamic evaluation. They will have filled out the IIQ-7 and UDI-6 validated questionnaires as is routine for all patients being evaluated for stress incontinence. After enrollment and informed consent, their initial screening will include a Pap smear for vaginal maturation.
2. Subjects will then be seen at 4, 8 and 12 weeks. At each visit, they will turn in their medication tubes and receive new study medication. They will also be screened for any adverse reaction to the study medication at each visit.
3. At the end of the study period, the subjects will fill out the same validated questionnaire as they did at the beginning of the study and they will also have their urethral pressure profile and PAP smear repeated.
4. The urethral pressure profile is part of the standard complex urodynamic testing that all patients undergo for evaluation and diagnosis of urodynamic stress incontinence. Urethral Pressure Profile is a technique used to provide information about the ability of the urethra to prevent leakage. The Urethral Pressure Profile is a specific study, in which a special design catheter is pulled through the urethra at a slow, continuous rate. The resulting "bell shaped" curve illustrates the function of the urethra from the beginning of the bladder neck out through the meatus.
5. The placebo cream will be a pharmacologically inert formulation which will be packaged similarly to the active premarin cream and visually indistinguishable from the active drug to both the study subjects and researchers.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Placebo Control, Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator), Primary Purpose: Treatment
Urodynamic Stress Incontinence
Estrogen cream, Placebo
UC Irvine Women's Healthcare
University of California, Irvine
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:13:41-0400
A trial to answer the debatabal question about the role of urodynamic study in surgical treatment for stress urinary incontinence.
Prevalence rates of urodynamic urinary incontinence (USI) subtypes and their related clinical and urodynamic findings in women with ≥ pelvic organ prolapse quantification stage II cystoc...
The purpose of this study is to find out how long it takes the vagina to respond to hormonal vaginal cream in women with pelvic organ prolapse (bulge in the vagina). It also will address ...
This is a multi-centered, randomized prospective single blinded clinical trial comparing CO2 fractionated vaginal laser therapy and vaginal estrogen cream therapy in the treatment of vulvo...
The purpose of this study is to determine if estrogen or testosterone can affect cortisol levels and where fat builds up in our bodies.
The placebo effect is considered the core example of mind-body interactions. However, individual differences produce large placebo response variability in both healthy volunteers and patients. The pla...
The recently published 18-year-follow-up of the WHI-study might resolve the long-standing dispute about hormone therapy, possibly reconciling the opposing parties attributing life-threatening risks to...
To assess the reaction of client-owned dogs to intravenous (IV) catheter placement after applying a local anaesthetic (EMLA) or placebo cream for either 30 or 60 minutes.
In recent years urodynamic innovations, although well researched, have failed to follow a standardized development pathway specifically in terms of clinical trials undertaken to demonstrate efficacy. ...
Recent press coverage on vaginal mesh surgery has resulted in a change in how patients are counselled, managed and treated in the UK. For stress urinary incontinence surgical procedures such as insert...
Abnormal descent of a pelvic organ resulting in the protrusion of the organ beyond its normal anatomical confines. Symptoms often include vaginal discomfort, DYSPAREUNIA; URINARY STRESS INCONTINENCE; and FECAL INCONTINENCE.
Involuntary loss of URINE, such as leaking of urine. It is a symptom of various underlying pathological processes. Major types of incontinence include URINARY URGE INCONTINENCE and URINARY STRESS INCONTINENCE.
A synthetic, non-steroidal estrogen structurally related to stilbestrol. It is used, usually as the cream, in the treatment of menopausal and postmenopausal symptoms.
Support structures, made from natural or synthetic materials, that are implanted below the URETHRA to treat URINARY STRESS INCONTINENCE.
A frozen dairy food made from cream or butterfat, milk, sugar, and flavorings. Frozen custard and French-type ice creams also contain eggs.
Clinical Approvals Clinical Trials Drug Approvals Drug Delivery Drug Discovery Generics Drugs Prescription Drugs In the fields of medicine, biotechnology and pharmacology, drug discovery is the process by which drugs are dis...
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing as well as dispensing drugs and medicines. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs. The scope of...
Stress is caused by your perception of situations around you and then the reaction of your body to them. The automatic stress response to unexpected events is known as 'fight or flight'. Discovered by Walter Cannon in 1932, it is the release of h...