Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Lycopene and green tea may stop or delay the development of recurrent prostate cancer in patients has been treated for prostate cancer. It is not yet known whether lycopene or green tea may be more effective in preventing prostate cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase II trial is studying lycopene to see how well it works compared with green tea in preventing prostate cancer in patients previously enrolled on RADCLIFFE-PROTECT and currently enrolled on CRUK-ProMPT.
- To assess serum lycopene and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (green tea) levels at 6 months following randomization in patients with prostate cancer previously enrolled on RADCLIFFE-PROTECT and currently enrolled on CRUK-ProMPT treated with lycopene versus green tea.
- To evaluate trial recruitment and randomization rates of patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate intervention tolerability in patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate compliance of patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate trial retention of patients treated with this regimen.
- To assess PSA values in patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate dietary compliance with recommendations of patients treated with this regimen.
- To assess weight and body mass index of patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate attitudes and views of men and their spouses about dietary modification and participation in long-term study.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to PSA test levels obtained from RADCLIFFE-PROTECT study recruitment clinic (< 3.0 ng/mL vs 3.0-19.99 ng/mL). Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I (lycopene): Patients receive 1 of the following treatment regimes.
- Regimen 1: Patients receive dietary advice regarding a daily portion of cooked tomatoes rich in lycopene. Patients also receive oral placebo capsules once daily.
- Regimen 2: Patients also receive dietary advice recommending 5 daily portions of fruit and vegetables. Patients also receive tomato-derived lycopene supplement capsules once daily. .
- Regimen 3: Patients receive healthy dietary advice. Patients also receive oral placebo capsules once daily.
- Arm II (green tea): Patients receive 1 of the following treatment regimes.
- Regimen 1: Patients receive oral green tea capsules once daily.
- Regimen 2: Patients receive oral placebo capsules once daily.
- Regimen 3: Patients receive dietary advice regarding drinking green tea. Patients complete quality-of-life questionnaires on urinary symptoms (ICSmaleSF questionnaire/FTQ1), general health status [Hospital Anxiety and Depression scale (HAD) and Profile of Moods States], and current diet (Food Frequency Questionnaire/FTQ1a) periodically.
Patients are followed at 1 and 6 months after randomization.
Peer Reviewed and Funded or Endorsed by Cancer Research UK
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Placebo Control, Masking: Double-Blind, Primary Purpose: Treatment
compliance monitoring, green tea extract, lycopene, questionnaire administration, quality-of-life assessment
University of Bristol
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:14:32-0400
RATIONALE: Green tea extract (Polyphenon E) contains ingredients that may prevent the development of cancer. PURPOSE: This phase I trial is studying how well green tea extract works in pr...
RATIONALE: Green tea extract contains ingredients that may slow the growth of certain cancers. It is not yet known whether green tea extract is more effective than a placebo when given bef...
The purpose of this study is to examine whether the extract of the green tea is effective on obese women.
RATIONALE: Green tea extract contains ingredients that may slow the growth of certain cancers. PURPOSE: This phase I/II trial is studying the side effects and best dose of green tea ...
The objective of this study was to determine if taking an extract of green tea for three months could improve glucose control in adults with diabetes.
Although about 90% of lycopene in dietary sources occurs in the linear all-trans conformation, a large proportion of the lycopene found in human tissues is of the cis-isomer type, notably (5Z)-lycopen...
Compounders engaged in making sterile preparations need to employ a quality assurance system of documented policies and procedures to attempt to reduce the possibility of contamination. The quality-as...
Basics of Sterile Compounding. Quality Assurance and Quality Control: Being Prepared for U.S. Food and Drug Administration Inspections and Staying in Compliance with United States Pharmacopeia Chapter <797>: Part 2.
Compounders engaged in making sterile preparations need to employ a quality-assurance system of documented policies and procedures to attempt to reduce the possibility of contamination. The quality-as...
In the present work, tomato peels were pre-treated using combination of ultrasound and enzyme co-immobilized amino-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles (AMNPs) for the efficient release of lycopene. ...
The green synthesis of metal nanoparticles using phytochemical from marine seaweeds is a fast-growing research field in nanotechnology. Here, the biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles was achieved ...
Distensibility measure of a chamber such as the lungs (LUNG COMPLIANCE) or bladder. Compliance is expressed as a change in volume per unit change in pressure.
Activities and programs intended to assure or improve the quality of care in either a defined medical setting or a program. The concept includes the assessment or evaluation of the quality of care; identification of problems or shortcomings in the delivery of care; designing activities to overcome these deficiencies; and follow-up monitoring to ensure effectiveness of corrective steps.
Self report questionnaire which yields 16 scores on personality traits, such as reserved vs. outgoing, humble vs. assertive, etc.
A dehydrated extract of thyroid glands. After the removal of fat and connective tissue, the extract is dried or lyophilized to yield a yellowish to buff-colored amorphous powder containing 0.17-0.23% of iodine.
Physiologic or biochemical monitoring of the fetus. It is usually done during LABOR, OBSTETRIC and may be performed in conjunction with the monitoring of uterine activity. It may also be performed prenatally as when the mother is undergoing surgery.
Head and neck cancers
Cancer can occur in any of the tissues or organs in the head and neck. There are over 30 different places that cancer can develop in the head and neck area. Mouth cancers (oral cancers) - Mouth cancer can develop on the lip, the tongue, the floor...