Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
PURPOSE: This clinical trial will study medical charts and tumor samples from patients with male breast cancer treated within the past 20 years.
- To perform a large international joint retrospective analysis of clinical and biological data of male breast cancer (BC) patients treated in the last 20 years.
- To create a database of patient characteristics, disease features, treatments received, and clinical outcomes of a large series of men diagnosed with BC over the last 20 years in centers in Europe, America, and third countries.
- To perform a central pathological review of the corresponding large series of male BC tumors to determine their biologic characteristics and identify relevant prognostic and predictive markers.
- Provide important information regarding male BC and set the scene for a second phase that is a prospective, international, multicenter, registry of male BC with concomitant material collection that will enable us to decide if a clinical trial is feasible for male BC patients.
- To characterize the histologic, pathologic, and molecular features of male BC.
- To correlate biomarker status with baseline clinicopathologic variables and patient outcome using multivariable analysis.
- To perform IHC for quantitative ER and PgR protein levels, HER-2 status and Ki-67, using FISH when applicable.
- To construct tissue microarrays derived from the formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue specimens.
- To analyze potential biomarkers which either have previously been reported to correlate with outcome in male BC or are suspected of being of interest in this disease, such as (but not limited to) androgen receptor, cyclin D1, p21, p27, intratumoral aromatase and survivin.
- To perform from the available fresh frozen tumor samples, detailed biologic characterization of male BC using techniques such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to evaluate uPA-PAI1 and AIB1, the prognostic value of the 70-gene profile and the wound signature.
- To evaluate by gene expression profiling technology the presence and relative incidence of the BC biologic subtypes (basal-like, Luminal A and B, HER-2 positive) as well as the presence and clinical significance of "intrinsic" subtype performed by PAM 50 assay.
- To identify and select biomarkers that should be incorporated in the prospective study.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to disease extent (metastatic vs non-metastatic).
Patient charts will be reviewed and data entered into a database. Data will be collected on patient epidemiology (e.g., age, ethnicity), possible risk factors (e.g., family history of cancer, chronic liver disease, obesity), and tumor characteristics (e.g., pathologic size, lymph node involvement, stage of disease, tumor grade, ER and PgR status, HER2 over-expression and results of BRCA 1 and 2 testing). Information regarding surgical therapy, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and endocrine therapy will be collected. Patient outcomes, (e.g., disease recurrence or progression, new primary cancer, and overall survival) will be noted.
Tumor blocks must be collected and sent to central laboratories in United States (US samples) and in United Kingdom (Europe and the rest of the world samples) for central pathology assessment of several biomarkers in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue. Fresh frozen tumor samples, when available, will be requested and analyzed in laboratories in Netherlands and US.
laboratory biomarker analysis, medical chart review, study of high risk factors
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center at University of Texas
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-07-24T14:06:37-0400
RATIONALE: Studying samples of blood and tumor tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers relate...
RATIONALE: Collecting and studying samples of blood from workers exposed to high doses of radiation may help the study of cancer in the future. PURPOSE: This clinical trial is studying ge...
RATIONALE: Studying samples of blood and tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to c...
This research study is studying biomarkers in blood and tissue samples from patients with uterine cancer. Studying samples of blood and tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory m...
RATIONALE: Studying samples of urine from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer. It m...
This study assessed the role of serum ferritin as a non-invasive biomarker in the diagnosis and monitoring of pediatric celiac disease. A retrospective chart review was performed on patients
α-defensin is a biomarker which has been described as having a high degree of accuracy in the diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection (PJI). Current meta-analyses are based on the α-defensin lab...
Chart reviews have been used to assess the incidence and impact of adverse events, but most of them are not a nationally representative sample. In addition, the definition of adverse events is general...
Perceived gender-related differences in surgical skills could limit opportunities available for any aspiring surgeon. There should be more available literature and logical analysis of these observa...
The Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study (ETDRS) alphabet chart is not feasible for measuring best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) for individuals who are unfamiliar with the Roman alphabet. The ...
Review of the medical necessity of hospital or other health facility admissions, upon or within a short time following an admission, and periodic review of services provided during the course of treatment.
Formal programs for assessing drug prescription against some standard. Drug utilization review may consider clinical appropriateness, cost effectiveness, and, in some cases, outcomes. Review is usually retrospective, but some analysis may be done before drugs are dispensed (as in computer systems which advise physicians when prescriptions are entered). Drug utilization review is mandated for Medicaid programs beginning in 1993.
Organizations representing designated geographic areas which have contracts under the PRO program to review the medical necessity, appropriateness, quality, and cost-effectiveness of care received by Medicare beneficiaries. Peer Review Improvement Act, PL 97-248, 1982.
An organized procedure carried out through committees to review admissions, duration of stay, professional services furnished, and to evaluate the medical necessity of those services and promote their most efficient use.
Organized services provided by MEDICAL LABORATORY PERSONNEL for the purpose of carrying out CLINICAL LABORATORY TECHNIQUES used for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
Track and monitor developments in breast cancer research and commercial development. Follow the tabs above to read the latest global news, research, clinical trials on breast cancer and follow companies active in the development of breast cancer tr...
Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. Most cancers are named for the organ or type of cell in which they start - for example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer; cancer th...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...