Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Chemoprotective drugs, such as calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate, may prevent neurotoxicity caused by oxaliplatin. It is not yet known which administration schedule of calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate is more effective in preventing neurotoxicity.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is studying different administration schedules of calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate and comparing how well they work in neurotoxicity in patients with colon cancer or rectal cancer receiving oxaliplatin-based combination chemotherapy.
- To determine whether 2 schedules of calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate infusions (given before and after chemotherapy or just before chemotherapy) can prevent or ameliorate chronic, cumulative oxaliplatin-induced sensory neurotoxicity in patients with colon or rectal cancer receiving adjuvant FOLFOX chemotherapy comprising leucovorin calcium, fluorouracil, and oxaliplatin.
- To determine whether these 2 infusion schedules can increase the cumulative oxaliplatin doses that can be delivered without dose-limiting chronic neurotoxicity.
- To determine whether these 2 infusion schedules can ameliorate acute neuropathy associated with oxaliplatin.
- To determine whether these 2 infusion schedules cause adverse events.
- To investigate whether these 2 infusions schedules influence patient quality of life.
- To describe baseline and post-treatment neurological quantitative sensory testing abnormalities in the study participants.
- To explore if polymorphisms in the GSTP1, GSTM1, ERCC2, and XRCC1 genes are associated with early onset of oxaliplatin-induced neurotoxicity.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to age (< 65 years vs ≥ 65 years), gender, regimen (FOLFOX4 vs modified FOLFOX6 vs other), and stage of disease (II vs III vs IV). Patients are randomized to 1 of 3 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive calcium gluconate IV and magnesium sulfate IV over 30 minutes immediately before and after oxaliplatin administration (part of FOLFOX chemotherapy comprising leucovorin calcium, fluorouracil, and oxaliplatin).
- Arm II: Patients receive placebo IV over 30 minutes immediately before and after oxaliplatin administration (part of FOLFOX chemotherapy).
- Arm III: Patients receive calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate IV over 30 minutes immediately before and placebo IV over 30 minutes immediately after oxaliplatin administration (part of FOLFOX chemotherapy).
In all arms, courses repeat every 14 days for 6 months in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Blood samples are collected before the second course of treatment for translational research.
Patients complete questionnaires on side effects, quality of life, and chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy periodically.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up at 3, 6, 12, and 18 months.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Placebo Control, Masking: Double-Blind, Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
Chemotherapeutic Agent Toxicity
calcium gluconate, magnesium sulfate, placebo
Not yet recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:14:45-0400
Calcium Gluconate and Magnesium Sulfate in Preventing Neurotoxicity Caused By Oxaliplatin in Patients Receiving Combination Chemotherapy for Stage II, Stage III, or Stage IV Colorectal Cancer That Has Been Completely Removed By Surgery
RATIONALE: Calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate may prevent or lessen neurotoxicity caused by oxaliplatin. It is not yet known whether calcium gluconate and magnesium sulfate are more e...
RATIONALE: Giving calcium together with magnesium may stop or delay the development of peripheral neuropathy in patients with cancer who are receiving treatment with ixabepilone. It is not...
Safety and Efficacy of Intravenous Magnesium Sulfate in Modulating Changes in Symptoms and Divalent Cation Levels Associated With Foscavir Therapy: A Phase IV Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Cross-Over, Pilot Study
To determine whether acute ionized hypomagnesemia and hypocalcemia immediately following foscarnet infusions can be lessened or eliminated by prior infusion of magnesium sulfate. To determ...
To evaluate the safety and efficacy of magnesium sulfate for preterm suspected abruption.
OBJECTIVES: I. Determine the role of magnesium deficiency in the pathogenesis of decreased serum vitamin D and reduced bone density in children with chronic cholestatic liver disease.
Clinical use of doxorubicin, an effective chemotherapeutic agent, has limited uses due to dose-dependent cardiac toxicity. It has been supposed that the production of free radicals and calcium ions ov...
We compared two methods of calcium gluconate infusion to maintain plasma ionized calcium ([Ca ]) during therapeutic plasma exchange (TPE) performed using the Spectra Optia Apheresis System. Method A, ...
Salinity stress in Brassica, often only associated with osmotic effects and the toxicity of Na, was more severe when applied as NaSO than as NaCl, indicating that SO ions had toxic effects as well. Ap...
Treatment of acute organophosphorus or carbamate insecticide self-poisoning is often ineffective, with tens of thousands of deaths occurring every year. Researchers have recommended the addition of ma...
Magnesium sulfate is the drug of choice for prevention of seizures in the pre-eclamptic woman. There is no agreement in the published randomized trials regarding the optimal time to initiate magnesium...
The calcium salt of gluconic acid. The compound has a variety of uses, including its use as a calcium replenisher in hypocalcemic states.
Antimony complex where the metal may exist in either the pentavalent or trivalent states. The pentavalent gluconate is used in leishmaniasis. The trivalent gluconate is most frequently used in schistosomiasis.
A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and as an antidote for magnesium poisoning.
Derivatives of chondroitin which have a sulfate moiety esterified to the galactosamine moiety of chondroitin. Chondroitin sulfate A, or chondroitin 4-sulfate, and chondroitin sulfate C, or chondroitin 6-sulfate, have the sulfate esterified in the 4- and 6-positions, respectively. Chondroitin sulfate B (beta heparin; DERMATAN SULFATE) is a misnomer and this compound is not a true chondroitin sulfate.
Drugs that prevent preterm labor and immature birth by suppressing uterine contractions (TOCOLYSIS). Agents used to delay premature uterine activity include magnesium sulfate, beta-mimetics, oxytocin antagonists, calcium channel inhibitors, and adrenergic beta-receptor agonists. The use of intravenous alcohol as a tocolytic is now obsolete.
Within medicine, nutrition (the study of food and the effect of its components on the body) has many different roles. Appropriate nutrition can help prevent certain diseases, or treat others. In critically ill patients, artificial feeding by tubes need t...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...