Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
The survival of esophageal cancer and stomach cancer (EGC) at 5 years is less than 30%. Pravastatin is a potent inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor that has shown increased survival in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. The objective is to evaluate the efficacy of treatment (increase in survival and recurrence-free period of the disease) with pravastatin in patients with advanced EGC. The investigators have designed a randomized, controlled and open. Advanced stage was considered for patients with T4 or N1 or M1 according to the TNM classification. It has been estimated sample size per treatment arm of 73 patients (146 patients in total). Randomization was done on a stratified by location (CE or CG). All patients receive hatitual treatment (surgery and / or chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy and / or palliative) for each of their clinical conditions. The experimental group will receive one tablet of 40 mg of pravastatin orally every 24 hours (breakfast) for 2 years. There will be a monthly monitoring of these patients for at least 2 years which includes an analytics. Every 2 months there will be an abdominal-pelvic CT scan to assess progression and treatment response.
1. Design: A randomized, controlled, open, parallel group study to assess the survival and disease-free period or progression in patients with advanced CGE over a period of 2 years.
2. Under study: Patients diagnosed in histology for the first time, advanced-stage CGE and fulfilling the inclusion criteria and none of the exclusion criteria proposed in the Hospital Donostia (San Sebastian) and Hospital de Basurto (Bilbao) .
3. Inclusion criteria: older than 18 years, esophageal or gastric cancer histologically confirmed (squamous or adenocarcinoma) for the first time, advanced stage (T4 or N1 or M1) according to the fourth edition of TNM classification and signing the informed consent
4. Exclusion criteria: Patients who routinely take (more than 3 days a week) anti-inflammatory drugs or aspirin, patients receiving oral anticoagulants, fibrates, cyclosporine and oral contraceptives, patients with hypersensitivity to pravastatin, pregnant women being lactation, peripheral neuropathy grade 2 or greater, patients who have been diagnosed in the previous 5 years other than skin cancer tumor that is not melanoma or carcinoma in situ of cervix or bladder, patients receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy for other of tumor patients in their laboratory parameters before starting the present study transaminases or alkaline phosphatase more than twice the normal value, patients with platelet count less than 100.000/mm3, absolute neutrophil count below 1000/mm3, or patients with evidence of bleeding diathesis or coagulopathy, patients with heart failure than NYHA grade II, patients with creatinine greater than 2 mg / dL, patients over 75 years, asthmatics, patients with physical or mental disability, patients with alcoholism or patients with diseases hereditary muscle
5. Intervention: Patients were randomized to two groups:
- Experimental Group: You will receive one tablet of 40 mg of pravastatin Cinfa EFG, orally every 24 hours (at breakfast) for 2 years.
- Control Group: will not receive pravastatin. All patients receive the prescribed treatment (surgery and / or chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy and / or palliative) based on their stage and clinical situation.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Active Control, Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Single Blind (Outcomes Assessor), Primary Purpose: Treatment
Department Gastroenterology. Hospital Donostia
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:17:05-0400
This study was designed to compare the rate and extent of absorption of pravastatin sodium from the following formulations under fed conditions: 1. Pravastatin Sodium 80 mg Tablets (Gen...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as idarubicin and cytarabine, work in different ways to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from di...
This study is a randomised, placebo-controlled study of the effect of treatment with the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, pravastatin, in HIV-infected, protease inhibitor treated patients with...
The purpose of this trial is to determine the effect of raltegravir on pravastatin pharmacokinetics and vice versa by intrasubject comparison.
The objective of this study was to compare the rate and extent of absorption of pravastatin sodium from a test formulation of Pravastatin Sodium 80 mg Tablets versus the reference Pravacho...
Pravastatin has emerged for prevention and treatment of preeclampsia; no reports are available on pravastatin and HELLP (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelets) syndrome.
Barrett's esophagus a complication of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a precursor of esophageal adenocarcinoma. The incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma has been increasing in most Western...
Esophageal carcinoma is a common malignancy worldwide, with a low 5-year survival rate. As the majority of cases are diagnosed at an advanced stage, there is an urgent need for an effective biomarker ...
Background: Esophageal stent insertion in patients with inoperable esophageal cancer is usually accompanied with relatively high adverse symptoms and even mortality. The current study aims at investig...
Recent studies have shown the safety and efficacy of curative resection of esophageal cancer with multiple primary cancers. However, our literature search revealed no curative surgery cases for esopha...
Tumors or cancer of the ESOPHAGUS.
A pathological condition characterized by the presence of a number of ESOPHAGEAL DIVERTICULA in the ESOPHAGUS.
Circular innermost layer of the ESOPHAGUS wall that mediates esophageal PERISTALSIS which pushes ingested food bolus toward the stomach.
Disorders affecting the motor function of the UPPER ESOPHAGEAL SPHINCTER; LOWER ESOPHAGEAL SPHINCTER; the ESOPHAGUS body, or a combination of these parts. The failure of the sphincters to maintain a tonic pressure may result in gastric reflux of food and acid into the esophagus (GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUX). Other disorders include hypermotility (spastic disorders) and markedly increased amplitude in contraction (nutcracker esophagus).
An antilipemic fungal metabolite isolated from cultures of Nocardia autotrophica. It acts as a competitive inhibitor of HMG CoA reductase (HYDROXYMETHYLGLUTARYL COA REDUCTASES).
Bladder Cancer Brain Cancer Breast Cancer Cancer Cervical Cancer Colorectal Head & Neck Cancers Hodgkin Lymphoma Leukemia Lung Cancer Melanoma Myeloma Ovarian Cancer Pancreatic Cancer ...
Head and neck cancers
Cancer can occur in any of the tissues or organs in the head and neck. There are over 30 different places that cancer can develop in the head and neck area. Mouth cancers (oral cancers) - Mouth cancer can develop on the lip, the tongue, the floor...