Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, fluorouracil, and epirubicin hydrochloride, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. It is not yet known whether giving cyclophosphamide together with methotrexate and fluorouracil before, after, or without epirubicin hydrochloride is more effective in treating patients with breast cancer that can be removed by surgery.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase III trial is comparing three regimens of cyclophosphamide given together with methotrexate and fluorouracil, with or without epirubicin hydrochloride, to see how well it works in treating women who have undergone surgery for breast cancer. (Group III was closed to new patients as of 12/7/2009.)
- To determine the impact of adjuvant chemotherapy comprising epirubicin hydrochloride followed by cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil versus cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil followed by epirubicin hydrochloride versus cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil on overall survival of patients with biologically aggressive, resectable, node-negative or node-positive breast cancer.
- To assess the disease-free survival and patterns of relapse in these patients.
- To assess the tolerance to and toxicity of treatment in these patients.
- To determine the quality of life of these patients.
- To verify the effectiveness of these treatments in different subgroups of patients.
- To collect, retrospectively, information on the expression of tumor suppressor gene p53, oncogene c-erbB-2, and bcl-2 protein involved in apoptosis. (exploratory)
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to center, lymph node status (N0 vs N1-3), and estrogen receptor status (negative vs positive). Patients are randomized to 1 of 3 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Beginning 4-6 weeks following surgery, patients receive epirubicin hydrochloride IV on day 1. Treatment repeats every 3 weeks for 4 courses. Patients then receive cyclophosphamide IV, methotrexate IV, and fluorouracil IV on days 1-8. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 4 courses.
- Arm II: Beginning 4-6 weeks following surgery, patients receive cyclophosphamide IV, methotrexate IV, and fluorouracil IV on days 1-8. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 4 courses. Patients then receive epirubicin hydrochloride IV on day 1. Treatment repeats every 3 weeks for 4 courses.
- Arm III (closed to accrual as of 12/7/2009): Beginning 4-6 weeks following surgery, patients receive cyclophosphamide IV, methotrexate IV, and fluorouracil IV on days 1-8. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for 6 courses.
Patients with estrogen receptor-positive disease receive tamoxifen daily for 5 years after completing chemotherapy.
After completion of study therapy, patients are followed every 3 months for 1 year, every 6 months for 4 years, and then annually for 5 years.
Allocation: Randomized, Control: Active Control, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
cyclophosphamide, epirubicin hydrochloride, fluorouracil, methotrexate, laboratory biomarker analysis, adjuvant therapy
Active, not recruiting
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:17:19-0400
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. It is not yet known which combination chemotherapy regimen is more e...
This is an open -label randomized phase II study of dose-dense Fluorouracil/Epirubicin/Cyclophosphamide (FEC) administered with Epirubicin of 75mg/m2 (FEC75) and Epirubicin 90mg/m2 (FEC90)...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as doxorubicin, epirubicin, and cyclophosphamide, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by st...
This is a Phase I dose escalation trial with escalating doses of Valproic acid and one dose escalation step of epirubicin. VPA will be escalated starting at a dose that is recommended for ...
CMF (cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, fluorouracil) is used to treat early stage breast cancer. The combination, of these three drugs, has been used for approximately 30 years in the treatm...
This study aimed to evaluate predictive value of 14 pro-angiogenic miRNAs for cardiotoxicity induced by epirubicin/cyclophosphamide follow by docetaxel (EC-D) in breast cancer (BC) patients.
Based on improvement in pathologic complete response (pCR) in the NeoSphere and TRYPHAENA studies, the FDA approved neoadjuvant pertuzumab for HER2+ localized breast cancer. These studies demonstrat...
LBA-008Docetaxel, oxaliplatin, and fluorouracil/leucovorin (FLOT) versus epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil or capecitabine (ECF/ECX) as perioperative treatment of resectable gastric or gastro-esophageal junction adenocarcinoma: The multicenter, randomized phase 3 FLOT4 trial (German Gastric Group at AIO).
Survival with nal-IRI (liposomal irinotecan) plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin versus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in per-protocol and non-per-protocol populations of NAPOLI-1: Expanded analysis of a global phase 3 trial.
In the phase 3 randomised NAPOLI-1 clinical study, a 45% increase in median overall survival (OS) was shown with liposomal irinotecan, 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin (nal-IRI+5-FU/LV) versus 5-FU/LV in...
The chemotherapy resistance and toxicity of chemotherapy are major problems in breast cancer treatment. However, candidate biomarkers for predicting clinical outcomes and better prognosis remain lacki...
Precursor of an alkylating nitrogen mustard antineoplastic and immunosuppressive agent that must be activated in the LIVER to form the active aldophosphamide. It has been used in the treatment of LYMPHOMA and LEUKEMIA. Its side effect, ALOPECIA, has been used for defleecing sheep. Cyclophosphamide may also cause sterility, birth defects, mutations, and cancer.
Body of knowledge related to the use of organisms, cells or cell-derived constituents for the purpose of developing products which are technically, scientifically and clinically useful. Alteration of biologic function at the molecular level (i.e., GENETIC ENGINEERING) is a central focus; laboratory methods used include TRANSFECTION and CLONING technologies, sequence and structure analysis algorithms, computer databases, and gene and protein structure function analysis and prediction.
An anthracycline which is the 4'-epi-isomer of doxorubicin. The compound exerts its antitumor effects by interference with the synthesis and function of DNA.
Infiltration of inflammatory cells into the parenchyma of PROSTATE. The subtypes are classified by their varied laboratory analysis, clinical presentation and response to treatment.
Organized services provided by MEDICAL LABORATORY PERSONNEL for the purpose of carrying out CLINICAL LABORATORY TECHNIQUES used for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
Surgery is a technology consisting of a physical intervention on tissues. All forms of surgery are considered invasive procedures; so-called "noninvasive surgery" usually refers to an excision that does not penetrate the structure being exci...
In a clinical trial or interventional study, participants receive specific interventions according to the research plan or protocol created by the investigators. These interventions may be medical products, such as drugs or devices; procedures; or change...