Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
This is a 12-week, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of telmisartan 80 mg/day as an adjunctive to clozapine or olanzapine therapy, in 70 schizophrenia subjects to examine telmisartan's effect on glucose metabolism, weight, food intake, resting energy expenditure, and body composition. In addition, the study will examine insulin's effects on psychopathology and cognition.
Potential subjects will be identified by their clinicians at the Freedom Trail Clinic, or Massachusetts General Hospital. A total of 70 subjects will be enrolled.
The specific aims include:
1. Examine the efficacy of telmisartan added to regular doses of clozapine or olanzapine in improving insulin resistance.
2. Examine the efficacy of telmisartan in reducing fasting triglycerides.
1. Examine the effects of telmisartan on negative symptoms, positive symptoms, and cognitive function.
2. Examine the efficacy of telmisartan in improving glucose metabolism as measured by glucose effectiveness (SG) and the acute insulin response to glucose (AIRG).
3. Examine telmisartan's effects on lipids, body composition, waist circumference, and waist/hip ratio.
4. Examine telmisartan's effects on weight, food intake and resting energy expenditure.
5. Characterize the relationships between changes in CRP, IL-6, and changes in fasting insulin and glucose, SI, SG, and AIRG from FSIVGTT.
6. Characterize the relationships between changes in fasting insulin and glucose, SI, SG, and AIRG from FSIVGTT, CRP, IL-6, and changes in negative symptoms, positive symptoms and cognitive function.
7. Examine telmisartan's effects on inflammatory biomarkers including C-reactive protein (CRP) and interleukin 6 (IL-6).
Allocation: Randomized, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor), Primary Purpose: Treatment
Massachusetts General Hospital
Massachusetts General Hospital
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:19:11-0400
To demonstrate that a fixed dose combination of telmisartan 80 mg plus HCTZ 12.5 mg is superior to telmisartan 80 mg alone in patients, who fail to respond adequately to telmisartan 80 mg ...
An eight week study to compare the effect of a fixed dose combination of Telmisartan 40 mg plus hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 12.5 mg to Telmisartan 40 mg alone on diastolic and systolic bloo...
The objective of this trial is to demonstrate that the fixed dose combination of telmisartan 40 mg and HCTZ 12.5 mg is superior to the monocomponent of telmisartan (Micardis, Gliosartan, K...
The primary purpose of this study is to: Demonstrate that a fixed-dose combination of telmisartan 40 mg plus amlodipine 5 mg is superior to telmisartan 40 mg alone in patients with essent...
The objective of this trial is to assess the safety and efficacy of 52 weeks of open-label treatment with the fixed dose combination of telmisartan 80 mg plus HCTZ 12.5 mg and telmisartan ...
Effects of sartans and low-dose statins on cerebral white matter hyperintensities and cognitive function in older patients with hypertension: a randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled clinical trial.
Cerebral white matter hyperintensities (WMHs) and cognitive impairment are common in elderly hypertensive patients, and more needs to be learned about their prevention and treatment. Our aim was to in...
Telmisartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) and a selective peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma (PPARG) modulator. Recently, we tested metabolic effects of telmisartan (5 mg/kg b...
Schizophrenia presents with a broad range of negative, positive, and cognitive symptoms, and comprehensive treatment is still a challenge. Sodium nitroprusside (SNP) has been reported to rapidly reduc...
Although currently approved antipsychotics exert efficacy on positive symptoms of schizophrenia, treatments for negative symptoms remain a major unmet need. Post hoc analyses were used to investigate ...
Sarcosine, glycine transporter inhibitor, increases glycine levels around NMDA receptor, improving primary negative symptoms of schizophrenia. The aim of our study was to find a potential relationship...
A chronic form of schizophrenia characterized primarily by the presence of persecutory or grandiose delusions, often associated with hallucination.
A type of schizophrenia characterized by abnormality of motor behavior which may involve particular forms of stupor, rigidity, excitement or inappropriate posture.
An obsolete concept, historically used for childhood mental disorders thought to be a form of schizophrenia.
Misunderstanding among individuals, frequently research subjects, of scientific methods such as randomization and placebo controls.
An effect usually, but not necessarily, beneficial that is attributable to an expectation that the regimen will have an effect, i.e., the effect is due to the power of suggestion.
Psychiatry is the study of mental disorders and their diagnosis, management and prevention. Conditions include schizophrenia, severe depression and panic disorders among others. There are pharmaceutical treatments as well as other therapies to help...
Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body. It is usually of plant or animal origin, and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. The substance is ingested by an organism ...