Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving more than one drug (combination chemotherapy) may kill more tumor cells. It is not yet known whether surgery is more effective with or without chemotherapy or which chemotherapy regimen may be more effective in treating young patients with liver cancer.
PURPOSE: This phase III trial is studying the side effects of giving doxorubicin hydrochloride together with combination chemotherapy and to compare different chemotherapy regimens to see how well they work in treating young patients with newly diagnosed liver cancer.
- To estimate the event-free survival (EFS) in pediatric patients with stage I (non-PFH, non-SCU) and stage II (non-SCU) hepatoblastoma treated with surgical resection followed by 2 courses of cisplatin, fluorouracil, and vincristine (C5V).
- To determine the feasibility and toxicity of adding doxorubicin hydrochloride to the chemotherapy regimen of C5V for pediatric patients with intermediate-risk hepatoblastoma.
- To estimate the response rate to vincristine and irinotecan hydrochloride in previously untreated pediatric patients with high-risk, metastatic hepatoblastoma.
- To determine whether timely (between diagnosis and end of second course of chemotherapy) consultation with a treatment center with surgical expertise in major pediatric liver resection and transplant can be achieved in 70% of patients with potentially unresectable hepatoblastoma.
- To foster the collection of tumor tissue and biologic samples to facilitate translational research and to provide data that may aid in risk-adapted approaches for subsequent clinical trials.
- To estimate the EFS of patients with stage I PFH treated with surgery alone.
- To determine whether liver transplantation (OLT) can be accomplished after successful referral and completion of 4 courses of initial chemotherapy.
- To estimate the 2-year EFS for patients once identified as candidates for possible OLT, the 2-year EFS for patients referred to a transplant center that are resected without OLT, and the 2-year EFS for patients referred to a transplant center who receive OLT.
- To register pediatric patients with hepatoblastoma who receive OLT with PLUTO (Pediatric Liver Unresectable Tumor Observatory), an international cooperative registry for pediatric patients transplanted for liver tumors.
- To determine if PRETEXT grouping can predict tumor resectability.
- To monitor the concordance between institutional assessment of PRETEXT grouping and PRETEXT grouping as performed by expert panel review.
- To estimate the proportion of stage IV patients who have surgical resection of metastatic pulmonary lesions.
- To determine the proportion and estimate the EFS of patients with potentially poor prognostic factors including AFP < 100 ng/mL at diagnosis, microscopic positive surgical margins, surgical complications, multifocal tumors, microscopic vascular invasion, macrotrabecular histologic subtype, and SCU histologic subtype.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to risk (very low vs low vs intermediate vs high). Patients are assigned to 1 of 4 treatment groups according to risk group.
- Very low-risk group: Patients undergo surgery and receive no further treatment.
- Low-risk group (regimen T): Patients undergo surgery and then receive adjuvant cisplatin IV over 6 hours on day 1, fluorouracil IV on day 2, and vincristine sulfate IV on days 2, 9, and 16. Treatment repeats every 21 days for 2 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Intermediate-risk group (regimen F): Patients receive C5VD chemotherapy comprising cisplatin IV over 6 hours on day 1, fluorouracil IV on day 2, vincristine sulfate IV on days 2, 9, and 16, and doxorubicin hydrochloride IV over 15 minutes on days 1-2. Treatment repeats every 21 days for 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients also undergo surgical resection after course 2 OR surgical resection or liver transplantation after course 4 of C5VD.
- High-risk group (regimen W): Patients receive up front VI chemotherapy comprising vincristine sulfate IV on days 1 and 8 and irinotecan hydrochloride IV over 90 minutes on days 1-5. Treatment with VI repeats every 21 days for 2 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients with disease response then receive 6 courses of C5VD with 1 courses of VI in between each 2-course block. Patients with no disease response receive 6 courses of C5VD in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Patients undergo tumor resection or liver transplantation after course 4 of C5VD followed by 2 courses of adjuvant C5VD.
After completion of study therapy, patients who receive chemotherapy are followed up periodically for at least 4 years.
Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
cisplatin, doxorubicin hydrochloride, fluorouracil, irinotecan hydrochloride, vincristine sulfate, liver transplantation, therapeutic conventional surgery
UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:19:12-0400
This randomized phase III trial studies how well combination chemotherapy (vincristine sulfate, dactinomycin, cyclophosphamide) alternated with vincristine sulfate and irinotecan hydrochlo...
This phase II trial studies how well combination chemotherapy, gemcitabine hydrochloride, and radiation therapy before surgery works in treating patients with borderline resectable pancrea...
To compare the effects of irinotecan hydrochloride with cisplatin to the "standard" regimen etoposide plus cisplatin on overall survival, in chemotherapy-naive patients with newly diagnose...
This partially randomized phase II/III trial studies how well cisplatin and combination chemotherapy works in treating children and young adults with hepatoblastoma or liver cancer after s...
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as fluorouracil, irinotecan, leucovorin, and cisplatin, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Gi...
In this manuscript we aimed at the simultaneous separation and quantification of Gemcitabine and Irinotecan hydrochloride (injected both as single components and in combination) from Sprague Dawley ra...
Children with metastatic hepatoblastoma have a poor prognosis, even with dose intensification of cisplatin and doxorubicin. Vincristine and irinotecan have demonstrated activity in high risk disease. ...
To compare the pharmacokinetic bioequivalence and safety of a generic pegylated liposomal doxorubicin formulation (SPIL DXR hydrochloride liposome injection) with that of the reference products, Caely...
Indole-3-guanylhydrazone hydrochloride (LQM01) is a new derivative of aminoguanidine hydrochloride, an aromatic aminoguanidine.
The inhibitory effects of ammonium chloride (NHCl) and chlorpromazine hydrochloride on betanodavirus were evaluated on Sahul Indian sea bass kidney (SISK) cell line. The cytotoxicity of different conc...
A pharmaceutical preparation of sitagliptin phosphate and metformin hydrochloride that is used in the treatment of TYPE 2 DIABETES.
A benzamide derivative that is used as a dopamine antagonist.
Used in the form of the hydrochloride as a reagent in ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY TECHNIQUES.
4(1-Naphthylvinyl)pyridine hydrochloride. Cholinesterase inhibitor. Synonym: YuB 25.
An antihistamine with mast-cell stabilizing properties used as eye drops in the treatment of ALLERGIC CONJUNCTIVITIS.
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing as well as dispensing drugs and medicines. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs. The scope of...
Hepatology is the study of liver, gallbladder, biliary tree, and pancreas, and diseases associated with them. This includes viral hepatitis, alcohol damage, cirrhosis and cancer. As modern lifestyles change, with alcoholism and cancer becoming more promi...