Advertisement

Topics

Identification of Predictors of Success for Lifestyle Modifications in Overweight Pre-diabetic Subjects

2014-08-27 03:19:38 | BioPortfolio

Summary

The primary objective of the study is to identify baseline and early predictors of favorable and unfavorable response to lifestyle intervention. As a secondary objective, the investigators would like to validate our questionnaire or other identified predictors as clinical tools to guide us in selection of the most suitable candidates for lifestyle intervention programs. Assuming the same capacity of our questionnaire to predict an absence of weight loss (≥5%) or a loss to follow-up (likelihood ratio for a positive test, LR+ = 9.9), 70 subjects need to be included in this study in order to find a lower limit of the 95% confidence interval above 2.0 for this LR+, which is the limit of an acceptable test. The investigators will enroll participants with pre-diabetes and BMI 27-40 in our program and administer to them at baseline and at 3 months the designed questionnaire, as well as other already well validated questionnaires assessing state of change and readiness to implement diet or exercise modifications.

Study Design

Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment

Conditions

Glucose Intolerance

Intervention

Lifestyle modification counselling

Location

Universitaire de Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec
Canada
J1H 5N4

Status

Active, not recruiting

Source

Universitaire de Sherbrooke

Results (where available)

View Results

Links

Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:19:38-0400

Clinical Trials [1555 Associated Clinical Trials listed on BioPortfolio]

Melinda Pilot Study

Although lifestyle modification programs have been shown to be effective in preventing diabetes in older populations, interventions in women with recent gestational diabetes (GDM) clearly ...

Benefits of Continuous Glucose Monitoring With GEM Lifestyle Modification for Adults With Type 2 Diabetes

The purpose of this study is to determine if the use of continuous glucose monitoring with the GEM lifestyle modification program (Glycemic load, Exercise and Monitoring glucose) will resu...

Prevention of Corticosteroid-Induced Glucose Intolerance

Glucose intolerance is frequent and serious complication of corticosteroid therapy. the aim of the study is to examine the hypothesis that co treatment with rosiglitazone can prevent gluco...

Study of Lifestyle Modification in HIV Lipodystrophy

This study is designed to determine the effects of an intensive lifestyle modification program in patients with HIV and Metabolic Syndrome. The primary endpoints will be improvement in bo...

Acupuncture in the Regulation of Dai Meridian for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Patients With Abdominal Obesity

The purpose of this study is to determine whether the use of electroacupuncture to dredge and regulate Dai Meridian combined with lifestyle modification are more effective than lifestyle m...

PubMed Articles [5662 Associated PubMed Articles listed on BioPortfolio]

Effects of Different Dietary and Lifestyle Modification Therapies on Metabolic Syndrome in Prediabetic Arab Patients: A 12-Month Longitudinal Study.

This three-arm, randomized, controlled study aimed to determine the differences in the effects of general advice (GA) on lifestyle change, intensive lifestyle modification programme (ILMP) and GA + me...

Choosing Pre-conception Planning for Women/Families: Counselling and Informed Consent (Part 2) - Pre-conception Reproductive Planning, Lifestyle, Immunization, and Psychosocial Issues.

To inform reproductive and other health care providers about pre-conception evaluation, including considerations for reproductive planning, lifestyle modification, immunization status and attitudes, a...

Glucose effectiveness is a critical pathogenic factor leading to the emergence of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetes mellitus: an ignored hypothesis.

Although the ability of glucose to mediate its own in vivo metabolism is long documented, the quantitative measurement of whole body glucose-mediated glucose disposal at basal insulin levels, [glucose...

"Longing for individual recognition" - Pregnant women's experiences of midwives' counselling on physical activity during pregnancy.

The aims to explore among pregnant women were their experiences of lifestyle counselling provided by a midwife in antenatal care, addressing health promotion with special focus on physical activity du...

Outcomes for Women with Gestational Diabetes Treated with Metformin: A Retrospective, Case-Control Study.

Metformin is increasingly being used a therapeutic option for the management of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). The aim of this study was to compare the maternal characteristics and perinatal out...

Medical and Biotech [MESH] Definitions

A pathological state in which BLOOD GLUCOSE level is less than approximately 140 mg/100 ml of PLASMA at fasting, and above approximately 200 mg/100 ml plasma at 30-, 60-, or 90-minute during a GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST. This condition is seen frequently in DIABETES MELLITUS, but also occurs with other diseases and MALNUTRITION.

A heterogeneous group of disorders characterized by HYPERGLYCEMIA and GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE.

An enzyme which catalyzes the hydrolysis of LACTOSE to D-GALACTOSE and D-GLUCOSE. Defects in the enzyme cause LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

Maintenance of a constant blood glucose level by perfusion or infusion with glucose or insulin. It is used for the study of metabolic rates (e.g., in glucose, lipid, amino acid metabolism) at constant glucose concentration.

A glucose transport facilitator that is expressed primarily in PANCREATIC BETA CELLS; LIVER; and KIDNEYS. It may function as a GLUCOSE sensor to regulate INSULIN release and glucose HOMEOSTASIS.

More From BioPortfolio on "Identification of Predictors of Success for Lifestyle Modifications in Overweight Pre-diabetic Subjects"

Advertisement
Quick Search
Advertisement
Advertisement

 

Relevant Topic

Diagnostics
A diagnostic test is any kind of medical test performed to aid in the diagnosis or detection of disease. For example: to diagnose diseases to measure the progress or recovery from disease to confirm that a person is free from disease Clin...


Searches Linking to this Trial