Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
RATIONALE: Estrogen can cause the growth of breast cancer cells. Hormone therapy using tamoxifen citrate may fight breast cancer by blocking the use of estrogen by the tumor cells. Studying samples of blood from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer treatment.
PURPOSE: This phase III trial is studying blood samples to see how well a higher dose of tamoxifen citrate works in patients with breast cancer.
- To determine how the increase of tamoxifen citrate dose influences the level of its major metabolites in the different genotype groups (poor-, intermediate-, and extensive-metabolizers) in patients with hormone-sensitive breast cancer.
- To characterize the population pharmacokinetic profile of tamoxifen citrate and its metabolites, together with interpatient and intrapatient variability, and to quantify the influence of genetic and non-genetic factors on drug levels.
- To investigate the role of the other CYPs (specially CYP3A4, CYP2C19), conjugation enzymes, and drug transporters possibly involved in the metabolism of tamoxifen citrate, and assess the impact of their polymorphism on drug and metabolites levels.
- To confirm a relation between hot flashes and CYP2D6 genotypes and/or active metabolites levels, and to assess whether a systematic assessment of this clinical symptom could play a role in the monitoring of tamoxifen citrate treatment.
- To explore the correlation between genotypes/metabolites levels and clinical outcomes in terms of tumor relapse.
- To assess the feasibility, efficacy, and safety of concentration-guided adjustment of tamoxifen citrate dosage in CYP2D6 poor metabolizers to reach a predetermined range of endoxifen exposure.
- To conduct other exploratory analysis based on the eventual new data coming up in the future.
OUTLINE: Patients receive oral tamoxifen citrate (at a dose of 40 mg/day) daily for 4 months in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Blood samples are collected for genotyping, phenotyping, and further analysis.
The results of the CYP2D6 genotyping may be communicated to the patients who are poor-metabolizers (if they choose to know the results), at the end of the 4 months.
Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Treatment
tamoxifen citrate, laboratory biomarker analysis, pharmacological study
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Published on BioPortfolio: 2014-08-27T03:19:51-0400
Estrogen can cause the growth of breast cancer cells. Hormone therapy using tamoxifen citrate may fight breast cancer by blocking the use of estrogen by the tumor cells This phase IIb tri...
This randomized phase III trial studies tamoxifen citrate or letrozole together with bevacizumab to see how well it works compared with tamoxifen citrate or letrozole alone in treating wom...
RATIONALE: A breath test that measures enzymes may be effective in identifying women in whom tamoxifen may not be effective. PURPOSE: This clinical trial is studying a breath test to see ...
This randomized clinical trial studies tamoxifen citrate in treating premenopausal women with estrogen receptor (ER)-positive breast cancer. Estrogen can cause the growth of breast cancer ...
RATIONALE: Studying samples of blood in the laboratory from patients receiving tamoxifen may help doctors learn more about the effects of other drugs on the level of tamoxifen in the blood...
Progression of tamoxifen resistance remained as a crucial obstacle to treatment of estrogen receptor positive breast carcinoma patients. Recent studies demonstrated the importance of DNA methylation p...
Long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) work as oncogenes or tumor suppressors that play important roles in tumorigenesis and chemotherapeutic drug resistance. This study investigates the role of lncRNA growth ...
To determine whether prostate-specific antigen (PSA) could serve as a biomarker for breast cancer.
The abnormal expression of miR-92a-3p was detected in multiple cancers. However, the biological role and underlying mechanism of miR-92a-3p in tamoxifen-resistant cells are still unknown. The main obj...
Breast cancer is the most common malignancy in women worldwide. Recurrence rates in breast cancer are considered to be dependent on the serum concentration of endoxifen, the active metabolite of tamox...
Laboratory processes prior to specimen analysis. These processes include study design, compliance of the subjects investigated, compliance in adherence to protocols, choice of specimens utilized and sample collection.
One of the SELECTIVE ESTROGEN RECEPTOR MODULATORS with tissue-specific activities. Tamoxifen acts as an anti-estrogen (inhibiting agent) in the mammary tissue, but as an estrogen (stimulating agent) in cholesterol metabolism, bone density, and cell proliferation in the ENDOMETRIUM.
Techniques which study entities using their topological, geometric, or geographic properties and include the dimension of time in the analysis.
A type of analysis in which subjects in a study group and a comparison group are made comparable with respect to extraneous factors by individually pairing study subjects with the comparison group subjects (e.g., age-matched controls).
A fluid-filled closed cavity or sac that is lined by an EPITHELIUM and found in the BREAST. It may appear as a single large cyst in one breast, multifocal, or bilateral in FIBROCYSTIC BREAST DISEASE.
Bladder Cancer Brain Cancer Breast Cancer Cancer Cervical Cancer Colorectal Head & Neck Cancers Hodgkin Lymphoma Leukemia Lung Cancer Melanoma Myeloma Ovarian Cancer Pancreatic Cancer ...
Diabetes Diabetes Endocrine Obesity Oxycontin Renal Disease Thyroid Disorders Endocrinology is the study of the endocrine glands and the hormones that they secrete (Oxford Medical Dictionary). There are several groups of h...
Women's Health - key topics include breast cancer, pregnancy, menopause, stroke Follow and track Women's Health News on BioPortfolio: Women's Health News RSS Women'...