Track topics on Twitter Track topics that are important to you
Objective: To establish an insight into pediatric and adolescent gynecological disorders encountered in a tertiary care center in Kuwait. Subjects and Methods: A retrospective case cohort review of 89 case records of patients under the age of 19 years who were admitted to the Maternity Hospital, Kuwait, from October 2002 through September 2003 was undertaken. For a variety of reasons, 35 patients were excluded and the remaining 54 patients constituted the study population. The patients were divided into 5 groups (A-E): group A = ovarian cysts, group B = disorders of pregnancy, group C = menstrual disorders, group D = gynecological infections and group E = miscellaneous. The clinical presentation and management of patients were analyzed. Results: The following spectrum of gynecological disorders was obtained: 13 ovarian cysts (24.1%), 28 disorders of pregnancy (51.8%), 4 menstrual disorders (7.4%), 2 infections (3.7%) and 7 miscellaneous cases (13.9%). Of the 54 patients, 36 (66.7%) were Kuwaitis and the remaining 18 (33.3%) were non-Kuwaitis. The mean age of the study population was 15.16 years, the median was 15.5 years, and the range was 8-19 years. The mean age of the patients with disorders of pregnancy was 17.52 +/- 1.16 years, which is significantly higher than that of groups A, C and E (p = 0.007, 0.0001 and 0.05). The main presenting symptoms at admission were vaginal bleeding: 31 (57.4%), abdominal pain: 17 (31.5%), abdominal mass: 10 (18.5%), and vomiting: 10 (18.5%). Ultrasonography revealed that dermoid cysts were the most frequently encountered ovarian cysts. Patients were hospitalized for 1-7 days. Conclusion: Disorders of pregnancy and ovarian cysts were the most frequently encountered pediatric/adolescent gynecological disorders. It is recommended that there should be a dedicated specialized clinic to guarantee privacy and centralized discreet care for these patients.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait.
This article was published in the following journal.
Name: Medical principles and practice : international journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre
To increase the proportion of adolescents with Medicaid who receive preventive care services in an urban pediatric clinic.
Heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) is a very common gynecological condition in adolescent females and a frequent presenting complaint of females with bleeding disorders. Recommendations have been establis...
The purpose of this study is: 1) to assess pediatric resident knowledge of adolescent mental health; 2) to assess pediatric resident comfort level for screening, assessing, and treating me...
The purpose of this study is to determine appropriate dose regimens of Eculizumab in pediatric and/or adolescent patients with paroxysmal Nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH).
Investigators propose to pilot an adolescent obesity intervention, TEENS+, to examine the feasibility of this dietary intervention strategy and preliminary effectiveness of two models of p...
The study is in two parts Part one of the study describes the use of the new single-use flexible video-scope for intubation of patients with predicted normal airways. Part two comp...
The purpose of this study is to compare the effectiveness of two psychosocially-based, manual-driven, behavioral modalities. One of these is a standardized version of the established moda...
Inspection and PALPATATION of female breasts, abdomen, and GENITALIA, as well as obtaining a gynecological history. (from Dictionary of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
An important aggregate factor in epidemiological studies of women's health. The concept usually includes the number and timing of pregnancies and their outcomes, the incidence of breast feeding, and may include age of menarche and menopause, regularity of menstruation, fertility, gynecological or obstetric problems, or contraceptive usage.
Any observable response or action of an adolescent.
An adolescent who is receiving long-term in-patient services or who resides in an institutional setting.
Registered nurses with graduate degrees in nursing who provide care to pediatric patients who are acutely or critically ill.
Pediatrics is the general medicine of childhood. Because of the developmental processes (psychological and physical) of childhood, the involvement of parents, and the social management of conditions at home and at school, pediatrics is a specialty. With ...
Women's Health - key topics include breast cancer, pregnancy, menopause, stroke Follow and track Women's Health News on BioPortfolio: Women's Health News RSS Women'...
Obstetrics and gynaecology
Fertility Menopause Obstetrics & Gynaecology Osteoporosis Women's Health Obstetrics and gynaecology comprises the care of the pregnant woman, her unborn child and the management of diseases specific to women. Most consultant...